People's Top 18: UK Club Big Blue

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

People's Top 18: UK Club Big Blue

Postby thurman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Group 10 of the GKL People's Top 18 goes off today. Here's your chance to determine the best courses in the state! Next up...

Fore please, The Big Blue Course at University Club of Kentucky in Lexington, KY.

If you've played it, you can rate it. Please use the following categories and rate on a scale of 1-5, as below (it's a tough scale, 3 is a pretty good score):

1 - Poor
2 - Okay
3 - Solid
4 - Very good
5 - Superb

Aesthetics – Is it scenic? Does the course “fit” its natural surroundings? Are the views unobstructed? Points off here for homes or buildings or power lines encroaching on the course, or other eyesores.

Ambience – Does the course feel “special”? Is it quiet? Is it a friendly, pleasant, or unique place to play in terms of atmosphere? Does it have intangibles that make you want to return? Points off here for loud highways, crappy customer service, pissy locals, and other things that negatively impact a course’s atmosphere.

Conditioning – Are the greens smooth? Do they run at the right speed? Are the fairways full? Does it play fast? Are the bunkers maintained? Points off here for slow or bumpy greens, dead spots in fairways, neglect, and unplayable bunkers.

Use of property – Does the course use its land well? Do natural slopes provide interest on shots? Are the course’s natural features used (water, trees, terrain, etc)? Does it drain well? Points off here for holes that ran out of room, constant drainage issues, unplayable slopes, wasted or misplaced features.

Risk/reward – Does the course give you opportunities to take a risk for some potential gain over the player who doesn’t take the same risk? Does the course extract a penalty if you fail? Does it make you want to hit dangerous shots? Points off here for forced conservative plays, cakewalk short par 4s and 5s with little danger.

Test of the full game – Can different types of players be successful? Does the course reward accuracy as much as it rewards distance? Is touch around greens as important as hitting strong full shots? Is putting as important as driving? Points off here for courses over-reliant on length, holes that don’t give short hitters a chance to put the ball in play, courses with interest tee to green but flat dull greens, etc.

Design variation – Is there a good mixture of short, medium, and long par 4s? Are the par 5s unique? Do you hit different clubs on the par 3s? Are there uphill and downhill holes? Are there doglegs left and right? Are different challenges present from one hole to the next? Points off here for repetitive shots, a ton of 380 yard par 4s, etc (note: It’s okay for a course to be cohesive. It’s ok if a course is “old school,” “wooded,” or “links style.” It just needs to present unique challenges throughout).

Memorability – Pretty simple: Do you remember it after you play it? Are there shots you replay in your head and think about before your next round? Do holes stand out for the right reasons? Points off here for forgettable holes or memorably bad holes.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Re: People's Top 18: UK Club Big Blue

Postby moe » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:14 pm

3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 4, 4 = 33

I kinda hate #10, but it's a great course.
Perhaps not quite as good as the current basketball team !!! :!: :wink:

moe
Art Hills # 1 fan
moe
Pro Poster

Postby kygolf99 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:13 pm

3,4,5,4,4,3,3,4=30

The better of the 2 courses, would prefer to see Wildcat front with Big Blue backside. Of all the times I have played here only seen the course in average condition once, other times it has been great. The design is fairly slow getting started, a lot of driver wedge par 4's with a very short par 5 #5./ To me the course really gets going on #7, thats a brutal tee shot followed by a tough uphill 2nd into a tricky green, then the hole that makes this course...#8 island green down hill with good distance. Tough shot with any wind! #9 and #18 are poor holes to end on IMO. Good private club course with a mix of short holes and challenging holes with very challenging greens.
kygolf99
Rookie Poster

Postby wilma » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:27 pm

4,4,4,3,4,3,3,5 = 30

Not as good, or tough, from the short tees. I admit I grade it down slightly for that. Still, definite Top course.

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:51 pm

Really enjoy this place every time out. Always looking good too.

4 5 4 4 4 4 4 4
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby LordofthePings » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Always like this course, and generally play it 2-3 times a year. The greens are always a good-to-great speed, the atmosphere is great, no houses, really can't say anything remotely negative about this course.

4-4-4-3-4-4-3-4 = 30
LordofthePings
Veteran Poster

Postby foreleft » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:13 am

Nice course. Can't go wrong with Arthur Hills. Some blah holes though. 1,9,10,13, and 18. Usually in good shape. I like Wildcat but this is the better course. It is not a very scenic course. Typical rolling ky land. Good test of golf.

3,4,4,4,3,4,5,3 = 30
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:10 pm

Aesthetics-4
Ambience-4
Conditioning-4 Like I said on wildcat Jeff does a great job. He is one of the best supers. in the area, In fact other courses have brought their guy to see Big Blue just before they fired their guy. Many of the local clubs Have tried to grab him the last few years, but he won't go anywhere, because he has a piece of the course. When the other courses had problems the last couple of years, we didn't get hurt very much, we were always is good shape.

Use of property- 4 Uses the land fairly well.

Risk/ reward- 4 I think there are several ways to take gambles here, Unlike some people I like 9 if gives you a nice little shot to take a gamble and drive the green, Most people still can't get there and they still have a chance to screw up the hole if you don't put the ball in the right spot on your chip, you can still 3 putt. Also many people come to this hole after putting it in the water on 8. 16 is another big gamble hole, but your percentage of actually pulling off your second shot over water to that par 5 are very slim, but it can be done.

test of full game- 4 I think it gives players of all skill levels a chance to score well, I have played all the tee boxes out there 2-5 just for fun or with some very old members, some in their 80's and really the scores are all about the same box to box, 2 and 3's are about the same scoring avg. and 4 and 5's are about the same too. It rewards for risk takers and players who place the ball in the right spot and have a good short game.

Design Variation -4 Various distances from all sets of tee boxes, some short holes, and some really long ones, shots over water, some shots up hill, down hill etc. it is just a good mix of holes.

Memorable - 4

This is my home track, And I think I have been fair with it, I don't think that I have given out more than two or three fives in any category over the course of this process, and I haven't given out any here. I think that is a top 5 course, but we will have to see how everything works out in the end.
The course plays much harder in the wind, and wind comes in to play most of the year out there. I think that the front is set up for a chance to put up a good score before you get to the back, If you don't get it by 9, then you probably won't get it on the back. 5 is a short par 5 and gives you a chance to make up for any mistakes that you might have made in the first 4 holes, the green is really the defense on this hole. Really it was a better hole when it was players club, I never would have taken the bunker out that spit that fairway. 8 is a island green that I think plays easier from the 5 tee hitting it 195, than it does playing closer dealing with that wind.

15 is flat out the hardest hole on the course, and probably one of the toughest in the state. It always averages over par, including the college tournaments that are played there throughout the year. I don't agree with forleft on 18 though, I think it is a solid finishing hole, It may not be for Jason, because he plays from the wrong side of the ball.

All in all the greens are always consistent and roll at a pretty high speed. There are many slight breaks on these greens, and you have to be a good putter to really play well.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews