[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - People's Top 18: Old Silo

People's Top 18: Old Silo

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

People's Top 18: Old Silo

Postby thurman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Group 7 of the GKL People's Top 18 goes off today. Here's your chance to determine the best courses in the state! Next up...

Fore please, Old Silo Golf Club in Mount Sterling, KY.

If you've played it, you can rate it. Please use the following categories and rate on a scale of 1-5, as below (it's a tough scale, 3 is a pretty good score):

1 - Poor
2 - Okay
3 - Solid
4 - Very good
5 - Superb

Aesthetics – Is it scenic? Does the course “fit” its natural surroundings? Are the views unobstructed? Points off here for homes or buildings or power lines encroaching on the course, or other eyesores.

Ambience – Does the course feel “special”? Is it quiet? Is it a friendly, pleasant, or unique place to play in terms of atmosphere? Does it have intangibles that make you want to return? Points off here for loud highways, crappy customer service, pissy locals, and other things that negatively impact a course’s atmosphere.

Conditioning – Are the greens smooth? Do they run at the right speed? Are the fairways full? Does it play fast? Are the bunkers maintained? Points off here for slow or bumpy greens, dead spots in fairways, neglect, and unplayable bunkers.

Use of property – Does the course use its land well? Do natural slopes provide interest on shots? Are the course’s natural features used (water, trees, terrain, etc)? Does it drain well? Points off here for holes that ran out of room, constant drainage issues, unplayable slopes, wasted or misplaced features.

Risk/reward – Does the course give you opportunities to take a risk for some potential gain over the player who doesn’t take the same risk? Does the course extract a penalty if you fail? Does it make you want to hit dangerous shots? Points off here for forced conservative plays, cakewalk short par 4s and 5s with little danger.

Test of the full game – Can different types of players be successful? Does the course reward accuracy as much as it rewards distance? Is touch around greens as important as hitting strong full shots? Is putting as important as driving? Points off here for courses over-reliant on length, holes that don’t give short hitters a chance to put the ball in play, courses with interest tee to green but flat dull greens, etc.

Design variation – Is there a good mixture of short, medium, and long par 4s? Are the par 5s unique? Do you hit different clubs on the par 3s? Are there uphill and downhill holes? Are there doglegs left and right? Are different challenges present from one hole to the next? Points off here for repetitive shots, a ton of 380 yard par 4s, etc (note: It’s okay for a course to be cohesive. It’s ok if a course is “old school,” “wooded,” or “links style.” It just needs to present unique challenges throughout).

Memorability – Pretty simple: Do you remember it after you play it? Are there shots you replay in your head and think about before your next round? Do holes stand out for the right reasons? Points off here for forgettable holes or memorably bad holes.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Re: People's Top 18: Old Silo

Postby kygolf99 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Aesthetics- 4
Ambience-4
Conditioning-2 Bunkers which is a main design here just arent up to par.
Property-4
Risk/Reward-3
Test of Full Game-4
Design Variation-4
Memorability-4

Total-29
kygolf99
Rookie Poster

Postby stammalammy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:09 pm

5, 5, 3, 5, 3, 4, 4, 5
"You can't believe all the quotes you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
stammalammy
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby LordofthePings » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:12 am

Played it once, not recently enough to remember enough.
LordofthePings
Veteran Poster

Postby wilma » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:06 pm

5,4,4,4,3,5,4,5 = 34

I have not played it since it supposedly went downhill on conditions. To me it has spoken fun. It is just right from the front for me, tough but lots of great things to try.

We played the GKL Rally [or whatever we called it] there in a really nice wind, making for real guesswork for me, as I could almost never pick exactly the right club. I think that may be one of the biggest differences between we occasional golfers and those of you who play a lot ....... you earn a kind of judgement of wind effects. [The other major difference is bunker play, I pray to IT I am never in one!] But the round at OS in the wind WAS a blast.

I hope to hear great things about Old Silo from you guys in the future. Top five.

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:36 pm

I think maybe 08 was the last time I was there, and conditions were still pretty good then. I will probably give an in between on that rating and go on the best I can remember for the rest.

4 4 3 3 3 4 4 4

I think most would probably give 4 on property but I seem to remember a few spots where they ran out of room or could have moved some dirt to make it better.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby moe » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:54 pm

4, 4, 3, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4 =32

I've always liked this course
even if he put in at least 20 useless bunkers.

moe
Art Hills # 1 fan
moe
Pro Poster

Postby DVgolfa » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:47 pm

Aesthetics – 4

Ambience – 4

Conditioning – 4

Use of property – 4

Risk/reward – 4

Test of the full game – 4

Design variation – 4

Memorability – 4

Total - 32
DVgolfa
Newbie Poster

Postby JP » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:10 am

I love this course! Site of the very first GKL outing and just a nice facility. It has fallen on harder times in recent years and I for one hope they are able to turn things around and get their conditioning tee to green (including bunkers) back up to their formerly lofty standards.

Aesthetics – 4 Beautiful course. Graham's is a nice bar and grill. They are actually one of the nicer facilities for entertaining in the county.

Ambience – 4 You don't even realize you are right next to the Interstate. It's a great course to totally immerse oneself in.

Conditioning – 2 They have really slipped here in relation to how things were just a few years ago. The bunkers aren't the only issue here (just the most glaring one). Would have given them a 4 or 5 just 3 or 4 years ago.

Use of property – 4 I would go 5 but number 1 is only so so and then there is that par 4 on the back that feels like a "ran out of room" hole.

Risk/reward – 4 There are some risks to be taken here although the penalties for a poor shot can be tough.

Test of the full game – 3

Design variation – 4

Memorability – 5 Unless you have played a lot of high end courses this one will stay with you for quite some time. The first time I went, I couldn't wait to go back and take all of my friends who hadn't played there before.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:42 pm

54343435=31 good course I didn't get to see summer conditions this year, but the greens are generally better than most places, There are some bunker problems, and they are taking some out, But I take most of these bunkers over any at Kearney. This course should probably be top 5, 10 for sure.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Aesthetics - 3: Sure its scenic when it moves away from the clubhouse, but let's not forget about 10, 11, 14, 15, and 18. The back nine doesn't feel a lot different than a bigger Cherry Blossom to me. It's solid.

Ambience - 3: It's a subdivision course on the drive up. It's typically not very busy, and it's practically unplayable without a cart. If a course doesn't foster golf in its purest form, a game played against nature's challenges and topography on foot, I have a hard time giving it a high ambience rating. Still, kudos for good use of trees to isolate certain holes and buffer the sound from the interstate.

Conditioning - 3: The bunkers are a debacle, and have been for a long time. We've had posts going back years that complain about everything from poor drainage, unkemptness, and pebbles in the sand. But the rest of the course is usually in fine shape when I've been there.

Use of property - 3: 8 and 9 are really nice, as is 12. I love 17; it's one of my favorite short par 4s in the state. But I still think they blew it with the tee shot at 6 (sure it's a good view, but that stream below could've been used to make things a LOT more interesting), 14 feels like it ran out of room, and 15 is a forced layup par 4 with incredible elevation change that could've been used much more effectively. It's only solid in this category.

Risk/reward - 3: I've come around a bit on this category. Angles do matter at several holes. Cutting the dogleg bunker at 1 gives a chance at reaching the green. Challenging the right bunker on 3 gives a better angle of approach. I like that 13 has centerline bunkering even if I think it needs one more bunker to make the carry a little longer. But there are still too many extraneous bunkers that really don't affect strategy at all - they're out of the lines of play and only there to catch bad shots but not to force you to make a decision between the bold play with potential payoff and the safe play that leads to a tougher next shot.

Test of the full game - 4: It's still a course that favors the long, high ball. But accurate players have a chance because of the bunkers that pinch fairways, and players with a good short game can succeed with the varied green surroundings. It's tough for everyone, mostly.

Design variation - 4: The first two par 5s are pretty similar, but there's pretty good variety otherwise. It does sometimes feel like you're playing across the same terrain over and over, as several holes are routed parallel, but there's enough difference between the holes themselves that it's not really a problem.

Memorability - 3: I didn't love this course, and the things I remember about it are a bit odd. I remember the cart rides, utility boxes and gas lines around 11, and holes like 15 more than I probably should. But 17 is a great hole, I love the tee shot at 8, and there are a lot of interesting holes.

That's a 26, and it's probably about right. While I don't love the course, I also think it has few true weaknesses. Mostly, it's just very imperfect to me. It's hard for me to call a virtually unwalkable course "great." I wish the routing were more concise. I wish it made better use of some of its natural hazards. And I think a lot of the bunkering is arbitrary, which is why a lot of the bunkers are being removed.

Among my votes, it's two points behind Kearney and one point above Cherry Blossom. That seems about right.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 pm

Aesthetics- 4 Great layout on nice property
Ambiance-3 For some reason I always get a funky vibe from that hood. And you can't walk it. Unlike ER, they could have
Conditioning-3 Shame on them for all the bunker debacle
Property-4 Well done except for the prejudice against walkers
Risk/Reward-4 Some classics and a few
Test of Full Game-5 I think it a great test for most
Design Variation-4 Dude did a good job for a nobody
Memorability-4 Has lost some of its luster but it is still in top ten

Total-31 I had one of my best rounds out there a few years ago and shot 75. Felt like a 70.
Last edited by foreleft on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:34 pm

I have a question for the people who put the conditioning at 2. Are you bringing that number down based on how they have had the course in the past, or are you also comparing it to others in the area. Old Silo's 2 on conditions is still better than most courses 3's. Greens are generally some of the better and faster greens in the area, and fairways are usually in pretty good shape. Every course in the area has had problems the last few years, are you saying they have dropped way below everybody else, or just from what they used to be.

Now I know they have problems with some of the bunkers and are taking out many. But in my experience the bunkers that are really in play are in pretty good shape and don't effect play, on the other hand almost every bunker at Kearney hill is total shit and effects play.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby beebs4201 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Aesthetics – 5. Beautiful course with some really scenic holes.
Ambience – 4.
Conditioning – 3. Greens are usually excellent but they have had their bunker problems.
Use of property – 4.
Risk/reward – 4.
Test of the full game – 4.
Design variation – 4.
Memorability – 4.

Total = 32
beebs4201
Veteran Poster

Postby wilma » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:14 pm

125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Next

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews