[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - New Old Bag

New Old Bag

When golf junkies get bored we like to read about equipment. Let us know what's working or not for you. From driver to putter! Favorite ball?

New Old Bag

Postby smashdn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:12 pm

Found these at an estate sale and couldn't say no. Just for grins I may start playing with a retro bag. I don't really play for score or in competitions so for pure fun I am going to give them a go. Going to see how christmas goes and may get a retro walking bag for them and some sunfish knit or leather headcovers to fit the look.

Also, now I need a correct putter to complete it. Either an old Acushnet or old Ping would be great.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Re: New Old Bag

Postby stammalammy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:17 pm

Need to get you a box of Balatas also!
"You can't believe all the quotes you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
stammalammy
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby foreleft » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:35 pm

That is a really nice set. I've been wanting to go retro too. I have a few persimmon drivers and fairway woods. Two Cleveland golf and some citation fairway woods. My blades are not as old as those. I got them new in 89, I think. Mizunos MP-7's. I do have a really old set of McGreagor MT's. Pretty cool. Would have to regrip any of those to actually play them. I think it would be tough. I feel so spoiled with technology. I used to really have to work on my game back when I was playing those clubs. Seems like I go weeks without even playing and do just fine. I want to try it though. Maybe we can get a retro foursome the next get together.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby smashdn » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:58 am

Somebody told me those irons were '87 vintage. Somewhere right in there. I had no real plan for them,and in fact have not even had a chance to hit them yet, but when i found them in the attic at the estate sale I had to have them. Looking back I should have purchased some other old woods so I could salvage the whipping off of them. I have a 3w that needs to be re-whipped and from my looking about the innerwebs the material is hard to come by.

I bought some new golf pride victory grips from Dicks for 2.99 per grip. I plan to use those. Golf Pride re-released by the victory greens and the victory cords and they can be found at different places.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby foreleft » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:14 pm

I put the victory cord on my driver this year. Love it. I was going to do my irons but guy at golf galaxy talked me out of it. Said my grips were fine. Took one and cleaned it and showed me they just needed cleaning. Nice guy
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:19 pm

I had a buddy that graduated in 85 and I thought he had those scotch blades then. Earned him a scholarship to ole miss.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby golfer1155 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Speaking of Retro I have a set of Pings 2 thru SW that were purchased new in 1979. Every once and a while I wishfully look at them and think I should take them out and play...But they really look hard to hit and I have become lazy ...lol
golfer1155
Veteran Poster

Postby smashdn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:58 am

Not sure if this is everywhere but after the purchase of Edwin Watts by Worldwide Golf my local store (nashville) has started having much more used equipment.

I was perusing the putters and found an older Ping Anser. I had latched onto it but kept looking through them and picked up a Ping B60 in similar condition for the same price.

The TR B60 is my everyday putter now so this older stainless version should fit right into my retro bag nicely. It just needs a new grip. I picked up a solid rubber lamkin as they didn't have the old solid rubber pingman grip in stock. I may wait to re-grip till I order the ping grip online.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby smashdn » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:53 am

Somebody did this to it though.

May try and get it welded back and I'll file it smooth and buff the whole thing and redo paintfill.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Return to What's in your bag?