Tale of Two Greens

Let's talk golf course architecture! Who is your favorite architect and why? Best design you ever played...What do you consider good course design elements?

Tale of Two Greens

Postby smashdn » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:43 am

This got me thinking > http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/inde ... ic=64007.0

The courses that you frequent, do you find yourself more inclined to like the challenge of a flatter (overall) green with subtle, more difficult to read breaks or do you prefer the bold contoured greens where the riddle you must unravel is not which way is the break but more so how much?

Of the three courses I play on most often 2 of the 3 fit into the "flat and figure it out" school. The other is a Ray Floyd with big rolling greens. I leave putts within tap in distance more on the flat greens, but also seem to miss more. The roller coaster greens I seem to make more but the misses go farther away from the hole.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Re: Tale of Two Greens

Postby stammalammy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:21 am

I like them both as long as the big undulated ones are cut so slick that balls wont stay near the hold when you hit a decent put up the hill at it.

The most frustrating ones to me are greens that look like they break but really don't or don't much. That is the way The Bull is to me, more often than not you can just put right at the hole and I swear you will make more than you miss. Unless there is a ridge involved.
"You can't believe all the quotes you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
stammalammy
Semi-Pro Poster

Re: Tale of Two Greens

Postby smashdn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:58 am

I find it hard to look at a 20'+ putt and start it in the hole. Those frustrate me for some reason. Like my mind is telling me there is no way there is not more break in a putt this length.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Return to Course Architecture