[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - Windtree GC - Mt. Juliet, TN

Windtree GC - Mt. Juliet, TN

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Tennessee golf courses.

Moderator: golfgoob7

Windtree GC - Mt. Juliet, TN

Postby CardinalEmpire.com » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:57 pm

CardinalEmpire.com
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby golfgoob7 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:41 pm

Garrett-Someone come to TN and play some golf with me.
golfgoob7
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby sdroy1968 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Yep...

King's Creek should probably be avoided at least until the bermudagrass greens up. It's a little rough around the edges until then. Nice layout, struggling financially.
sdroy1968
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby CardinalEmpire.com » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:42 pm

Thanks, SD and Goob. SD, I did read those older suggestions, but it didn't look like much came out of it. I don't mind driving a little ways, and courses north of Nashville would be particularly intriguing since we will be driving in from Louisville on Saturday. If there is a stop on the way, I'm cool with that.

Right now the candidates I can seem to get any decent opinion of are Windtree and Legacy (in addition to the Hermitage which we booked for Sunday). And by opinions I mean I've found maybe one review of either on the entire stinking net.

My primary goal was to add Tennessee to my played states list, so anything good to play between Louisville and Nashville Saturday would work.
CardinalEmpire.com
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby moe » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:04 pm

I am playing The Legacy (Ray Floyd 1996) on April 5th.
It's located in Springfield, Tennessee, just northwest of Nashville.
I'll be on the way to Texas, but I'll try to report from the road.
moe
Art Hills # 1 fan
moe
Pro Poster

Postby CardinalEmpire.com » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:46 pm

Moe, I'd really appreciate a field report. The pictures on their website look awful nice, but we know how courses can "pretty things up" for the home page.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and book the round there, but would appreciate a head's up if it turns out the course is a stinker.
CardinalEmpire.com
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby mich4life » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:50 am

I hit 2 good balls today, i stepped on a rake
mich4life
Rookie Poster

Postby wilma » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:18 am

As an aside, The Tennesseean was not in great condition when we played, but few courses, public or private, in Tennessee will compare with it's layout. It is a must see if you are out playing Mineral Mound or KDV.

""As an aside, I think Ron & Moe REALLY deserve kudos for what they have put together here. Kentucky isn't exactly considered a golf hot spot by many outsiders and yet I would argue that this is the best source of information, reviews, etc. of any state/city/region for golf. I've seen decent sites for Chicago and Atlanta, and there are some pretty nice ones for Michigan and northern Ohio, but nothing that compares to GKL IMO.""

Couldn't agree more. Thanks many times Moe and -er--what was his name? Jesus Christ Ron, completely deserted?

Doug

PS: You guys know Ron better than I, what HAS happened that he disappeared so completely?
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:31 pm

From my understanding, you always blame the wife. :lol:
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Re: Windtree GC - Mt. Juliet, TN

Postby smashdn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Played it last year during the summer so take this for what it is worth.

The routing is pretty strong. Great gains in elevation playing beside and over a creek and some ponds. Good strategic golf.

However the condition of the course was rough. Struggling financially was the story that I got as well. Greens were in good shape. Some fairways were very weedy. Some tee boxes weeds would have been desired in place of the bare dirt and rocks.

Also the story was that the flooding rains received in the spring of 2011 really messed up the course's main holes in the bottom. Given time and money to cure those ills it should play better this spring.

On the upside the grill was very nice.

ETA - Our company golf league is out of The Legacy. It is usually always in top notch condition with the exception of fairway bunkers. They must not have liners in them as the red clay and chert rocks contaminate the sand. I don't mind playing out of hard packed traps. I do mind damaging clubs on rocks in them. This time of year when the bermuda is just first coming out Legacy plays very firm and fast. Tight lies are the norm. The putter and mid-iron running chip are the better plays around the greens. Greens are kept fast and sandy. Lots of movement in them. Staying below the hole adn in the same quadrant is key for birdie-able putts. You would do well to keep driver in the bag on most holes on the front. I typically only get it out for 1, 7, and maybe 9. Most holes you are simply better off being in the fairway than being deep. On the back there is more elevation change. Driver only gets pulled on 11, 13 (though you don't have to really), 14, 15 (hit a cut) 18 (though 3 wood is just as good up the hill).
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby mygolfvacation » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:45 am

Try out Foxland Harbor, reach out to me and I can get you on..IMO the top public courses are Hermitage and Gaylord, but I am a huge fan of GreyStone. For the money I think Windtree is a good value, just not quite up there with Hermitage. I like Hermitage President because it is like playing a coastal golf course in the middle of Tennessee - there is plenty of sand and Winding bridges with water. Here is an article I did that might help with your ventures to Tennessee.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-Ten-Publi ... id=6736535
Scott Burdette
Owner - My Golf Vacation

mygolfvacation
Newbie Poster

Postby mygolfvacation » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:51 am

Moe,
Unless you are just dead set on Legacy, IMO there are others I would play before Legacy towards Nashville.
Scott Burdette
Owner - My Golf Vacation

mygolfvacation
Newbie Poster

Postby moe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:27 pm

Scott
That was 2 years ago I played The Legacy!
Each message has the date on it. :oops:

This year we will try Mirimichi down by Memphis.
How about that one ?

moe
Art Hills # 1 fan
moe
Pro Poster

Postby mygolfvacation » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Yeah, it gets me every time someone post on a thread from 2 years ago, end up thinking it is a new one.

Typically anytime Memphis and golf are mentioned I suggest going further South to Tunica, but Mirimichi may be one course I would play from what I have heard. Unfortunately that is the one part of the State I am unfamiliar with its golf, just isn't enough high level golf to peak my interest. From what I have seen in my research is that Memphis is similar to Chattanooga in that most of the good courses are private. If you find any others there please let me know because I do get request for Memphis every so often - Plantation golf course is supposedly pretty good too.
Scott Burdette
Owner - My Golf Vacation

mygolfvacation
Newbie Poster

Postby wilma » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:10 pm

So Scott, have you been far enough west to see The Tennessean? That is one course I would play if I could, not matter the conditions. I think if it was in great condition NO public and only a couple private courses in TN could compare. I absolutely loved it.

Did you see the Golfweek list for TN? As big a travesty as KY!

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Next

Return to Tennessee Course Reviews