Louisville trip in spring, advice/opinions?

Coming to Kentucky? Ask a local where the best golf courses are around your destination...Find out where to eat...See if the horses are running. We'll try to help!

Re: Louisville trip in spring, advice/opinions?

Postby wilma » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:50 pm

cobra wrote:
wilma wrote:Louisville has the WORST public golf courses, on average, of any comparable size city I know!

Do you measure your drug usage by tonnage or pounds? No way that Heritage Hill, Chariot Run, Champions Pointe, Covered Bridge, Nevel Meade, Quail Chase (all Louisville area) qualify as "the worst" by any yardstick :D

Yes, if you count courses in other states. I guess Cincinnati becomes really great if we count Longaberger and The Fort.

But if we stick to the honest Louisville area, of which I will cede HH, they are somewhat beind some other parts of the state. Well, only Northern KY, Lexington, Eastern KY, Southern Ky, Western KY and anywhere else in Kentucky.

Yes A-Dub, I agree wholeheartedly that they should try Lexington, or obviously even better Eastern KY. I just hate to see visitor come to Kentucky and have memories of Louisville City courses as "Oh, that is golf there?" I appointed myself Kentucky Ambassador of Golf long ago [to Ron's eternal dismay], and I hate to look bad. Afterall, I live in Ohio.

God Bless Kentucky golf and keep conditions good! And do something about my shoulder, what?

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby cobra » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:10 pm

The "honest" Louisville metro area does include southern Indiana and counties outside Jefferson...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Louis ... nsus04.jpg

There is no need for anyone to "cede" anything. It is what it is.
cobra
Rookie Poster

Postby foreleft » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:08 am

If you are going to include Chariot then you have to include Valley View, Hidden Creek, Eagle Creek, and Old Capitol. They are all within that drive time. But don't forget to include Seneca, the jewel of the Louisville Metro Courses. I love the layout and it has been in pretty good shape this year.
If they are coming from Kansas City and considered Paducah, then they should think about Mineral Mound, Kentucky Dam Village, Kerry Landing, or some others down that way. It may be the first group ever to come to Louisville just for golf. I think this guy is messing with us. :?
Or Bardstown would be pretty cool cause if guys wanted to take a day or half day off of golf they could do a good Bourbon tour. Cool little town. Play Maywood, Kenny Rapier at My Old Kentucky Home, and Rosewood. That is a nice little taste of Kentucky.
As far as Lexington goes. Play 18 Big Blue, 18 Wildcat one day. Play 36 at Houston Oaks, and play 36 at Kearney. Cherry Blossum is well kept but no where near the design of those.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby JP » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:47 am

Good suggestions but I would choose Cherry Blossom over Houston Oaks.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby wilma » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:07 am

cobra wrote:The "honest" Louisville metro area does include southern Indiana and counties outside Jefferson...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Louis ... nsus04.jpg

There is no need for anyone to "cede" anything. It is what it is.

Of course it 'includes' S IN. It does not include Louisville! The far traveler can then go back and tell friends to book a great golf trip to Southern Indiana. As you say, Chariot, Champions Pointe, Covered Bridge ........ add, French Lick twice, Sultan's Run and Belterra and forget Kentucky! :roll:

But if we actually want them to come to KENTUCKY, then Eastern Kentucky or Lexington should be screamed in their faces till they forget they ever thought of Louisville!

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby cobra » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:37 am

This has devolved into cartographic nitpicking of absurd, delusional dimensions. I can get in my car right now in downtown Louisville and be in Covered Bridge's parking lot in 15 minutes. Ergo, it's a Louisville course as are the others within similar time frames. I suggest future "Kentucky golf ambassadors" do an internship at the census bureau and also cease wearing their "I love Calipari" underoos too tight since it obviously short-circuits blood supply to the brain when the topic is Louisville.
cobra
Rookie Poster

Postby JP » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:58 pm

Doug's a Vols fan. He wear's I Love Dooley drawers :wink:

I wouldn't mind a pair of those underoos though :lol:
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby cobra » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:06 pm

JP wrote:Doug's a Vols fan. He wear's I Love Dooley drawers :wink:

I wouldn't mind a pair of those underoos though :lol:

Ahhhhh. It all makes perfect sense: a Vol fan harboring angst from long ago, dismayed by Wade and Allan Houston's inability to bring a title to Knoxville. All is forgiven. I understand.
cobra
Rookie Poster

Postby A-Dub » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:16 pm

Sure, we generally count those courses in surrounding areas as "Louisville area" courses. The Fuzzy courses, Chariot, HH, Nevel Meade, Weissinger, Maywood, etc. This guy said he only wants to play Kentucky courses. When you narrow that to one area and one that this guy wants to play in the options are considerably less attractive, particularly compared to a Lexington area trip or a trip to EKY for Eagle Trace, Hidden Cove, Eagle Ridge, and Stonecrest.

If you limit Louisville courses to Louisville zip codes it gets even worse and Doug is talking in the literal sense of the words "Louisville golf." Quail and Seneca are the best courses in that instance. Pass on that. I can get two courses just as well in Bell County, and one of them is a 9 holer.

For another example to expand on this, we are currently doing the KENTUCKY rankings. We ain't including the Indiana courses, cuz that ain't Kentucky.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:51 pm

Relating this back to the original topic...

KS-52 has made it clear his group won't play in Indiana, and they're probably not driving the extra hour to Lexington either. I think it's been made clear that they'd have better golf options in Lexington, but that's not as important to them and, after 8 1/2 hours on the road, you have to draw the line at some point.

If they're only playing three courses anyway, can they really expect to do better for a combo of price and quality than Persimmon, Heritage Hill, and Seneca? Doesn't that combo come near enough to anything they'd get anywhere else to make it less of an outrage that they're skipping Kearney and Cherry Blossom?

Especially if the group's primary concern is social, I can't imagine that they'll walk away thinking Kentucky golf is miserable after playing those three courses, particularly if they can catch a good tee time at Seneca. Even if they do, if you're paying attention, they also never play in the same state twice anyways. I would imagine they'd be perfectly satisfied with their trip after those three courses and a taste of Louisville's entertainment and nightlife (which trounces anything available in Lexington or EKY).

One more note for KS-52: You mentioned some of the guys are coming from Milwaukee. Frontier flies direct to Louisville for a fairly cheap price. When I lived in Madison, I vastly preferred driving to Milwaukee to catch that flight over driving to Kentucky, and found in my SUV it cost about the same round trip. Just a thought.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby JP » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:45 pm

You're right Dad. (sigh) they do have to get off the road sometime.

Having played 2 of the 3 courses you mentioned (HH on my to do list for 2012) I would agree that they would not be disappointed in their trip to the bluegrass. I will grant you Persimmon will give them something to talk about for years once those greens get to working on them. Great course but it can be brutal at times. I would also agree that Louisville has a better "night life" than EKY (which has none). In a smaller way I would say Lexington holds it's own as far as nightlife even though I'm too old to enjoy much of it these days but there is a pretty good scene going on downtown since you went north (granted on a smaller scale than the Ville).
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:17 pm

Lexington? In the summer? Nightlife? Times have changed. jk. Truth is, when I am playing 36 a day I don't have much energy left for nightlife.
Seneca, Persimmon, and HH is a decent enough golf trip. If one of those courses don't work out then you might be in trouble. Be aware of current traffic conditions.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:30 pm

That is true J. If they are looking at riding in at all that morning and going straight to Seneca they will want to plan accordingly due to the bridge issues. I would go ahead and make sure I am in Louisville the night before the first round.

Those 3 are about as good as what they would get in Lex. Spending what they spend on Persimmon might drive up the total a little more than if they played in Lexington, but Seneca can help offset that a bit. There will be more drive time for them in Louisville with those 3 courses than just about any other 3 courses in Lexington, but they will have better food and entertainment opportunities.

Lexington nightlife isn't as crowded in the summer, but I like it better in the summer. You can get out on the patio's and hang out, barhop a little easier, and fight less crowd (plus for me, minus for some). I personally really dislike 4th Street in Louisville and much prefer downtown Lexington. I'd rather hit up Bardstown Road, Joe's Older than Dirt, or I wanna try out Drake's at the Summit sometime since it is out my way, than go to 4th street. There again are more options in Louisville for everyone, but for me I probably prefer the Lexington scene.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Previous

Return to Visiting Kentucky?