[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - Putting troubles

Putting troubles

Have a tip or a great golf website to share put them here. Also a great place to get some help with your game.

Putting troubles

Postby jeremy0811 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:10 pm

This is not a new problem for me, the putter has always been my most inconsistent club. I have just recently started practicing with the "reverse-left hand low" grip similar to the one used by short game guru Dave Pelz. The ball seems to roll truer, but I feel very uncomfortable with this grip. Should I test it on the golf course this weekend, or should I stick with what feels most comfortable.

I feel that if I could shave 5-7 putts off my round I could break 80 consistently. I am also an inconsistent driver of the ball (can drive 280+ but sometimes have issues staying in the short stuff) but can make up for that because I am a good iron player. I haven't figured a way to make up for my inconsistent putting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy
jeremy0811
Newbie Poster

Postby stammalammy » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:51 pm

I personally think that a change like this might be good if you are serious about it. I also think that if you do feel uncomfortable with it that could add that extra bit of concentration that might be the real thing your putting needs. My concentration is my biggest enemy normally making me pull my head.

I guess a better question might be what is on the round in question? Touney? Friendly money match? Just for fun?

If it were me:
Just for fun = Definatly try it and stick with it through atleast the front 9
Money match = Try it but forget it if is failing miserably after a few holes
Tourney = Make the decision from the practice green

*Hands a grain of salt to go with this advice since I am far from a putting pro*
"You can't believe all the quotes you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
stammalammy
Semi-Pro Poster

Putting Woes

Postby Ron » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:48 am

Jeremy,

Assuming basic mechanics are correct, I think trying another grip may focus you on what you are doing and improve the situation, but if you think your mechanics may be off, I would pick up a magazine and learn/work on fundamentals...especially if distance control is a problem. I would be a little concerned if the new grip is causing anxiety while standing over the ball.

:idea: I like to think "light grip", "distance" and "commit to the line" right before I putt. Reading a little about postive thinking and committing to the shot might improve your putting too. Sounds heavy but I think it helped me. Also makes you realize that you may hit some good putts that don't go in. If you start the ball right where you intended with proper speed it's a good putt...maybe not such a good read.

I know a guy (Foreleft in th old forum) that swithes between putting grips numerous times during the round. I'm not sure how much it helps, but I'm playing him even ever week.

Good Luck,

Ron
Ron
Site Admin

Postby jeremy0811 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:29 pm

Thanks for the advice.....I am going to try the new grip this weekend, I am playing Friday and Sunday, both just practice rounds. Ron, I think you probably hit the nail on the head with anxiety issues with the new grip. But what can it hurt to change (I had four 3 putts and one 4 putt my last 27 holes) without those 5 extra strokes I would have shot 74 at Hickory Sticks.

Thanks

Jeremy
jeremy0811
Newbie Poster

Postby biervergnugen » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:37 am

Its old advice, but the best I can offer: take a lesson from a PGA teaching professional. Its cheaper than most new clubs and can make drastic overnight changes in your game. Just make sure to take a notepad with you to the lesson to write down what you learn, and what thoughts you had to make it work.
biervergnugen
Newbie Poster

Putting Lessons

Postby Ron » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:39 pm

I concur with biervergnugen. It's amazing how overlooked a putting lesson is by amatuers...or how little value is put on putting at all. I think everyone can have individual putting characteristics, but a pro can refine almost any stroke.
Ron
Site Admin

Putting troubles

Postby sdroy1968 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:50 am

jeremy0811,

I suppose everyone has their own way of thinking about this, but here's my two cents worth. The biggest problem I run into is thinking too much about my mechanics. Just a couple of things that work for me:

1) if you have another reasonably good putter (and what true golfer doesn't?) get it out and use it for a few rounds; it will take your mind off mechanics

2) get a simple pre-shot routine and follow it EVERY SINGLE TIME (if you do this right it totally distracts you from the pressure of trying to make the putt); I like to take a couple of practice strokes while looking at the hole then address the ball and make the same stroke without hesitation - you have to pretend you don't care if the ball goes in or not. The main thing is to trust your read and commit to it.

I'm a 5-6 handicapper, definitely not a pro but I hope this helps!

Steve
sdroy1968
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby stammalammy » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:10 pm

"You can't believe all the quotes you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
stammalammy
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby jeremy0811 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:41 pm

jeremy0811
Newbie Poster

Postby GUMPSTER » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:26 pm

GUMPSTER
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby brofuqua » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:54 pm

2 Quail Chase Mens League Championships.
2 1st place trophys
2 for 2,retired undefeated

brofuqua
Champions Tour Poster

Postby GUMPSTER » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:28 pm

GUMPSTER
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby LINKIN » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:20 pm

LINKIN
Newbie Poster

Postby GUMPSTER » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:50 pm

GUMPSTER
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby brofuqua » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:37 am

Last edited by brofuqua on Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Quail Chase Mens League Championships.
2 1st place trophys
2 for 2,retired undefeated

brofuqua
Champions Tour Poster

Next

Return to Golf Tips / Golf Websites