One Off Major Winners

Discuss the tour of your choice here. Talk about players and the courses.
How about these tough guy caddies vs. media?

One Off Major Winners

Postby smashdn » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:28 am

The winners of majors who seem to be "flashes in the pan," what are some reasons that you think that occurs?

I am thinking the likes of Webb Simpson, Trevor Immelman, Mike Weir, Michael Campbell, Lucas Glover, Geoff Ogilvy, Todd Hamilton, Rich Beem, et al. Do you think they won as a result of the course that they played? Though some are one time Masters champs. Or do you think it is even fluke-ier than that and they just caught lightning in a bottle for one week?

Just from looking at the list of one time winners it seems to me it occurs more often at the US Open and PGA.

Some of the ones form the last 20 years not named Eldrick or Phil might as well be in the witness protection program.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Re: One Off Major Winners

Postby ukpikedave » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:25 pm

A think the "Week of Their Career" theory is the most likely culprit. Though I can see how taking a few weeks/months to get all the off-course benefits (media appearances, speaking engagements, corporate gigs) of a major championship could be really distracting and sap any swing or short-game mojo.

Or maybe some are guilty of celebrating that one win way too much...for WAY too long. And I imagine a relatively minor injury can have a disproportionately large impact on one's golf game at that level.

In a couple of cases (Simpson, Ogilvy, Leonard), their titles literally fell into their laps from others' collapses (Furyk at Olympic, Mickelson famously at Winged Foot, and Van der Velde, respectively), so I wonder how much respect those guys' garner even among their colleagues. Okay, Leonard nailed that unbelievable putt at Brookline, but still.

How Louis Oosthuizen hasn't won more with that swing is nearly incomprehensible.
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

http://onebeardedgolfer.com - One Bearded Golfer blog
https://twitter.com/1beardedgolfer - You can follow me on Twitter (not sure why you would)
ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Re: One Off Major Winners

Postby smashdn » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:44 am

I thought Martin Kaymer would go on a tear.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Return to PGA/LPGA/Champions/Nationwide