Stonelick Hills

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Ohio golf courses.

Stonelick Hills

Postby golfer1155 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:18 am

I am scheduled to play there in October...Anyone tell me anything about the course ?
golfer1155
Veteran Poster

Re: Stonelick Hills

Postby Docugs » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:18 am

The course is owned by the founder of Penn Station, and he designed the course. It's pretty fair, and has 5 par 3's and 5 par 5's. The par 5's are mostly reachable, and a couple have some risk reward elements to them. The par 3's are ok, the least memorable thing about the course. Par 4's vary with some really long holes and 1 that can be driven under the right conditions.
large greens and all the bunkers are well maintained. You should be able to put up a good score here.

There are a couple of Buffalo that are kept between the 1'st and 10th hole.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:27 am

I played it Saturday morning after a scramble I was slated to play nearby got rained out. The rain lifted for three hours or so and I managed to scoot around the course pretty quickly before the next wave of showers. This one surprised me. It's a lot of fun.

Donovan sums it up pretty well. The course isn't especially stout, but it has plenty of shots that tempt you to flirt with danger. If you can resist the temptation to take on the tempting but stupid shots, it offers plenty of opportunities to score. I really enjoyed the stretch from 4-8 on the front. The shots on those holes all ask something a little different of a player, and the greens at 6 and 8 stood out as particularly cool. As a core course, I'm disappointed at some of the long transitions between holes. Outside of that though, there isn't much not to like. It's worth noting that a handful of nuts were out walking the course even in the 45 degree rainy weather I played in. I'm a pretty die-hard walker, but even I thought those guys were crazy.

Hole-for-hole and shot-for-shot this is the best course I've seen in Cincinnati. Sharon Woods has a much better routing, but if you don't mind paying a little extra for a course with a few disjointedly long transitions, I think most people would think Stonelick is a lot of fun. I'd probably enjoy it more on a day with better weather too, although turf conditions were still stellar and all the bunkers had drained beautifully. The practice facilities are also solid, which I appreciated since I hit 9 greens and shot 88. I've been rolling the ball horridly lately, and I took over 40 putts for the fourth straight round at Stonelick. After spending some time on the practice green afterwards, I think I have a good handle on what I've been doing wrong. Just in time for next week's trip...
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby wilma » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:09 pm

Thurman;

I assume you meant best public. And I agree. Exceptional when you consider the architect. Just fun.

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:19 am

Went back to Stonelick today after work. It's the last week before they raise their rates in April, so I wanted to take advantage of the winter rate.

The course is in great shape for March. The fairways were shaggy in a small spot or two where it looked like maybe they hadn't been mowed yet, but were in great shape otherwise and played reasonably firm. The greens also had a nice firmness and rolled true enough to walk putts in despite evidence of a fairly recent small-tine aeration.

I had an inconsistent day - I hit the first four greens but three-putted two of them, then clunked along for the next few holes culminating with a three-putt par at 9 and bogeys on 5 of the next 6. I then closed birdie-bogey-eagle after a huge-for-me drive on 18 set up a 9 iron downwind from 165 to 8 feet. A few photos:

Approach to 1

Divot and Duff, the onsite buffalo

The par 3 third

Tee shot on the par 5 fourth

Tee shot on the short par 5 ninth

Par 3 fifteenth
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Tue May 31, 2016 10:03 am

I played Stonelick again on Saturday. Other than an inexplicably soggy approach area on 8, the turf couldn't be better. The greens played reasonably firm and allowed the ball to funnel off ridges and slopes toward pins, and they rolled flawlessly and fast. Drives were bouncing 10 feet in the air when they landed. The current conditions probably beat any public course I've played yet this year.

12 greens hit and shot 80. I take back what I said about the greens rolling flawlessly.
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby albatross233 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:29 pm

Gentlemen,

I have just taken the job as Head Golf Professional at Stonelick and would love for guys to come out and see the course. I will be starting in about 2 weeks and we are excited to continue proving that we are the finest public golf club in the region.

Brian
albatross233
Newbie Poster

Postby Docugs » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:24 pm

Head Pro just after passing your P. A. T. Good luck. Will be playing a tournament there next month.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:06 am

Nice work Brian. I'm sure I'll see you out there before the end of the year.
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:34 pm

Somebody is connected somewhere....
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby golfer1155 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:14 am

Played Stonelick for the first time yesterday. greens still healing from Fall aeration so I will blame my poor putting on that. 5 three putts for a 81. Happy with that for first time out there. Course is one you need to play a few times as there are some tee shots that you really need to know where you can miss and where you can not.

I liked the course ...lots of risk reward shots....shortish par 5's make the course fun and if you can putt....very scoreable.

People out there are very friendly. They get $ 39.00 to ride during the week and currently $78.00 on the weekend. I heard talk that they will raise the rates next year as they are getting to much play.
Course was very busy for a Monday.
Course challenging a fari amount of water to deal with. No big forced carries and some interesting par 3's.

Well worth the effort to get there.
golfer1155
Veteran Poster

Return to Ohio Course Reviews