PURGATORY GOLF CLUB

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Indiana golf courses.

Re: PURGATORY GOLF CLUB

Postby chrislindy » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Played Purgatory Saturday, June 27 in the wake of a massive set of storms that hit the Indianapolis area. Course was so wet that they wouldn't even let us take carts out on the property. Several holes on the front nine had causal water and temporary hazards from the flooding and back-up of the drainage system.

Despite the rain, the fairways ran out reasonably well and the greens were surprisingly quick. There are a lot of elements to the course that remind me of my days looping Valhalla, particularly the front 9. Without the use of a cart or a GPS system, I found some of the holes difficult to assess from the tee box; the score card shows the right hand fairway on 18 running into rough, for example, when it actually merges back with the left fairway if you just take it over the bunker. Hole 6 is blind from the tee box and the card didn't give a proper representation of the extent of the dogleg. In short, I'm cart spoiled.

As for the round, I should probably eat some of my words regarding the "necessity" of stretching back to 7800 yards. It's sorta incredible that we've gone from 7200 yards being championship level just a decade ago to 7800 being entirely average for a tour stop. Still think that's an indictment of the equipment folks, but I will say that Puragtory doesn't feel overly grandiose in person.

I think I enjoyed the layout and the holes were reasonably interesting. Walking the 12 miles in misty rain and mud sorta left me with a mental haze and the only standout holes I can specifically recall are the par 3's on the back 9. It was well-maintained on our visit and the greens were quick to the point of unnerving for a guy whose only rounds this year have been played at Hidden Creek (night and day on the stimpmeter). I shot a smooth 92 which was largely a function of not hitting more than a couple of greens in regulation and not being able to get up and down literally once. Made a mess of the par 5 13th despite not losing a ball on the hole; way too many 3-putts which is atypical for me.

I'd like to go back again and try the place when it isn't overcast and soaked. We were supposed to play the nearby Prairie View Golf Club Sunday, but the White River had come up so much that their back 9 was underwater and they had to close the course.
Formerly CardinalEmpire.com
chrislindy
Semi-Pro Poster

Re: PURGATORY GOLF CLUB

Postby beebs4201 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:09 am

Got out to Purgatory last week. The course is just flat out awesome. Their GPS system on the carts is the best I have ever seen with a touch screen. Greens were slick and smooth. It you have an opportunity to play, don't pass it up.
beebs4201
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Indiana Course Reviews