[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - How does this rule protect the integrity of the game?

How does this rule protect the integrity of the game?

Have a question? Maybe someone has the right answer. Or just vent about how you were beat by some obscure ruling that doesn't make sense to you. Maybe someone can explain why!

How does this rule protect the integrity of the game?

Postby Ron » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:25 pm

Ron
Site Admin

Re: How does this rule protect the integrity of the game?

Postby sdroy1968 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:48 am

sdroy1968
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby Ron » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:09 pm

Ron
Site Admin

Postby Ron » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:47 pm

Ron
Site Admin

Postby scoobdaddy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:09 pm

Ron-

If I'm not mistaken, rule 16.2 regarding "ball overhanging hole" used to involve replacing the ball on the lip of the hole and tapping in putt, should the ball fall into hole after an unreasonable amount of time took place before addressing the next putt. I may be wrong, though. The rule reads accordingly, now.....

16-2 Ball Overhanging Hole
When any part of the ball overhangs the lip of the hole, the player is allowed enough time to reach the hole without unreasonable delay and an additional ten seconds to determine whether the ball is at rest. If by then the ball has not fallen into the hole, it is deemed to be at rest. If the ball subsequently falls into the hole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke, and he must add a penalty stroke to his score for the hole; otherwise, there is no penalty under this Rule.
(Undue delay — see Rule 6-7.)

Decisions covering this rule would be: 16-2/0.5 thru 16-2/5

16-2/0.5 Ball Overhanging Hole Is Lifted, Cleaned and Replaced; Ball Then Falls into Hole
Q. After an approach shot, a player’s ball is overhanging the hole. The player walks up to the hole without unreasonable delay and notices that there is mud on the ball. The player marks the position of the ball and lifts it. He then cleans the ball and replaces it. The ball remains on the lip of the hole for about five seconds and then, as the player is preparing to tap it into the hole, the ball falls into the hole. What is the ruling?

A. Under Rule 16-2, if a ball falls into the hole after it is deemed to be at rest, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke and he shall add a penalty stroke to his score for the hole. In this case, when the player marked the position of the ball it must have been at rest. The ball must be considered to have been at rest when it was replaced; otherwise, it would have to be replaced again (Rule 20-3d).
Accordingly, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke and must add a penalty stroke to his score for the hole.

16-2/1 Ball Overhanging Hole Falls into Hole After Player Waits 40 Seconds

Q. A player’s ball overhangs the edge of the hole. The player walks up to the hole. He then waits about 40 seconds, after which the ball falls into the hole. Is the player subject to penalty?

A. Yes. The player incurs a penalty of one stroke — Rule 16-2.

16-2/2 Ball Overhanging Hole Knocked Away by Opponent Before Player Determines Status

Q. In a match between A and B, A putts and his ball apparently comes to rest, but is overhanging the hole. Within five seconds, B concedes A’s next stroke and knocks his ball away. Was B entitled to knock A’s ball away?

A. No. Under Rule 16-2, A is allowed a reasonable time to reach the hole and an additional 10 seconds to determine whether his ball is at rest. Since B infringed A’s rights, B was in breach of Rule 1-2 (Exerting Influence on Ball) and lost the hole, assuming that Rule 2-2 (Halved Hole) did not apply.

Player Jumps Close to Hole to Cause Ball Overhanging Hole to Drop — See 1-2/4.
Ball Falls into Hole After Concession of Next Stroke — See 2-4/2.
Ball Blown into Hole by Competitor Not Replaced and Holed Out — See 3-2/2.
Ball Overhanging Hole Falls into Hole After Being Addressed — See 18-2b/10.

16-2/3 Casting Shadow on Ball Overhanging Hole

Q. A player’s ball came to rest overhanging the edge of the hole. The player walked up to the hole and cast his shadow on the ball, believing that this would cause the grass to wilt and his ball to fall into the hole. Was the player in breach of Rule 1-2 (Exerting Influence on Ball) when he cast his shadow on the ball?

A. No.

16-2/4 Ball Overhanging Lip of Hole Moves When Flagstick Removed

Q. After a stroke from just off the putting green, a player’s ball comes to rest overhanging the lip of the hole but not resting against the unattended flagstick. The player reaches the hole without unreasonable delay and removes the flagstick. The ball either rolls away from the hole or falls into the hole. What is the ruling?

A. It is a question of fact whether the player’s actions caused the ball to move and any doubt should be resolved against the player.
The flagstick is a movable obstruction. If the movement of the ball was directly attributable to the removal of the flagstick, the ball must be replaced on the lip of the hole without penalty (Rule 24-1a). If the player caused the ball to move but the movement of the ball was not directly attributable to the removal of the flagstick, the ball must be replaced on the lip of the hole, and the player incurs a penalty stroke under Rule 18-2a.
If the player’s actions did not cause the ball to move and the ball fell into the hole, the provisions of Rule 16-2 apply, whether the removal of the flagstick occurs before or after the lapse of time contemplated by Rule 16-2.
If the player’s actions did not cause the ball to move and the ball moved to another position, the player must play the ball from that new position.
If an opponent or fellow-competitor were to remove the flagstick, without the player’s authority, before the ball is deemed to be at rest under Rule 16-2 and as a result of this action causes the ball to move, the opponent or fellow-competitor has infringed the player’s rights as, under Rule 16-2, the player is allowed a reasonable time to reach the hole and an additional 10 seconds to determine whether his ball is at rest. In such a case, the opponent or fellow-competitor is in breach of Rule 1-2 (Exerting Influence on Ball) and loses the hole in match play or incurs a penalty of two strokes in stroke play. The player incurs no penalty and, in stroke play, must place the ball on the lip of the hole. (New)

16-2/5 Ball Overhanging Lip of Hole Moves and Strikes Flagstick During Removal of Flagstick

Q. After a stroke from off the putting green, a player’s ball overhangs the lip of the hole. While the player is removing the flagstick, the ball falls into the hole, striking the flagstick. The player’s actions did not cause the ball to move. What is the ruling?

A. In equity (Rule 1-4), there is no penalty under Rule 17. If the ball came to rest within the circumference of the hole with all of it below the level of the lip of the hole, the ball is holed. If, after striking the flagstick, the ball is deflected out of the hole, the ball must be placed on the lip of the hole without penalty.
The answer with regard to Rule 17 is not affected by how much time elapses before the ball falls into the hole after the player reaches the hole.
There would be a penalty stroke under Rule 16-2 if the ball falls into the hole after it is deemed to be at rest under that Rule. (New)

Hope this helps.... and doesn't confuse :roll: as we know the rule book can sometimes

Jeff Shelton, PGA
Picadome G.C.
859-288-2990
scoobdaddy
Veteran Poster

Postby wilma » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:42 pm

Jeff;

Nothing you posted answered the question of what happens if WIND blows a ball at rest into the hole.

Myself, I do not care at all what the the rule is. I think EVERYTHING we need to understand about 'The Rules of Golf' is answered it one part of your post {"any doubt should be resolved against the player"}. Since I will never compete in any sanctioned event I think I shall play by whatever rules my playing partners and I agree upon. Those of you who DO play sanctioned events certainly should hang a few USGA and R & A officials or something as a mild demonstration against legislative brutality.

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Ron » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:49 pm

Scoob,

There must have been something in the way I worded my description of the situation because Bruce from Dale Hollow mentioned the same rule in our discussion. The part about the ball being placed at the hole was just what I thought you had to do to finish the hole, so my question really had nothing to do with 16-2. But your memory is correct, they did fiddle with that rule. You used to be able to wait a lot longer. Now you have a moment to display emotion, a leisurely walk up, (both based on interpretation of the rule and whether or not your emotion is genuine and not just meant to waist time) and then 10 seconds at the hole to wait for the damn thing to fall. Used to be, you could try the old "shadow the ball until the bent wilted" and the ball fell in trick. Probably a good change since I'm sure someone, somewhere, attempted the shadow trick for way too long without satisfaction. Apparently I was just wrong about the placement of the ball...unless someone has found otherwise. Bruce and I have already given up due to headache from reading decisions. :roll: :lol:

My ball didn't blow in the hole anyway. It moved about 8 feet away from the hole, leaving me with a 15 footer. :twisted: I incorrectly replaced the ball and later penalized myself when I found out I had proceeded improperly. :oops: Missed the seven footer too. :roll:

Ron
Ron
Site Admin

Postby scoobdaddy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:48 am

scoobdaddy
Veteran Poster

Return to Rules Discussion