[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - A Question About USGA Handicaps

A Question About USGA Handicaps

Have a question? Maybe someone has the right answer. Or just vent about how you were beat by some obscure ruling that doesn't make sense to you. Maybe someone can explain why!

A Question About USGA Handicaps

Postby JP » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:04 pm

Does anyone know how the USGA determines which rounds to count in determining someone's handicap?

The reason I ask is that I feel mine is too low. Don't get me wrong, I am proud to have a 10 :shock: handicap considering that I put my clubs away for 20 years and only began playing again 2 years ago. On the other hand, the reason I got a handicap last month was so that I could take my first try at a singles tournament (Lexington Men's City Championship). I have no illusions of winning, but I felt I could make the cut if I played within myself. I guess you could call this my midlife crisis (some guys get divorced or buy sports cars...). Well now I'm feeling a little pressure because I would have thought I was a 13.

85 is kinda my target score when I play. Above that and I feel I played poorly, below and I've played well. Most of the scores I've turned in were in the 85-88 range. I did shoot an unconscious 78 8) at Highpoint, but that's one round on a course that I enjoy and which happens to be easy to play. So the USGA counts that but totally ignores an 82 at Longview (another easy course) not to mention my 92 :oops: at Houston Oaks in March.

If anyone knows the answer to my question, please advise. Ultimately it doesn't matter, I'm still gonna play. I'm just curious.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby KYBOYINTHECITY » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:11 am

Hey JP,

Keep in mind that par plays no role in computing handicaps. Only adjusted gross score, course rating and slope rating come into play. Adjusted gross score is a golfer's total strokes after allowing for the maximum per-hole totals allowed under Equitable Stroke Control.

Here's a brief :shock: explanation of how "official" USGA Handicap Index is established (GHIN). Some of this was lifted from Brent Kelley's explanations on the web.

A player's official USGA Handicap Index is derived from a complicated formula that takes into account adjusted gross score, course rating and slope rating. A minimum of 5 scores and a maximum of 20 (most recent during official posting season) is required to get started.For each score, the USGA Course Rating and Slope Rating for the courses played are also required.

USGA Slope Rating is a number ranging from 55 to 155 that represents the difficulty of a course for bogey golfers relative to the USGA Course Rating (which represents the difficulty for scratch golfers). Slope rating is not expressed in strokes, but, rather, is a ratio. The higher the slope, the more difficult the course plays for bogey golfers. A slope rating of 113 is considered average.

USGA Course Rating is an evaluation of the difficulty of a golf course for scratch golfers. Actually, the number is an estimate of the average scores of the best 50-percent of rounds played by scratch golfers at the course being rated. Course rating is very easy to understand because it is expressed in strokes. A par-72 course that is easy might have a course rating of 68.9; one that is difficult might have a course rating of 74.5.

Are you still with me? :? By using slope and course rating figures, you - or a computer - can calculate the handicap differential for each round posted using this formula:

(Score - Course Rating) x 113 / Slope Rating. For example, let's say the score is 85, the course rating 72.2, the slope 131. The formula would be (85 - 72.2) x 113 / 131. The answer is 11.04 This differential is calculated for each round entered. Not every differential that results here will be used. If only five rounds are entered, only the lowest differential will be used. If 20 rounds are entered, only the 10 lowest differentials are used.

Get an average of the lowest differentials by adding them together and dividing by the number used (i.e., if five differentials are used, add them up and divide by five). Multiply the result by .96 (96-percent). Drop all the digits after the tenths (do not round off) and the result is handicap index.

Whew - that was just the simplified explanation :?

Now that you have figured your Handicap Index, you can now calculate your "course handicap". Course handicap is really the crux of the USGA Handicapping System. It's the number that determines how many strokes - if any - you get on each hole. Therefore, it's the number that makes the system work, that ensures the ability of golfers of differing skill levels to compete against one another, and to do so fairly regardless of where they are playing.

Course handicap is a result of the addition of "slope rating" to "course rating" as factors in the USGA Handicapping System in the early 1980s. A player's scores and the course ratings and slope ratings of courses played are used to calculate a "handicap index."

The handicap index is then compared to the slope rating of the course you are playing and the average slope of 113. The calculation is this: Your Handicap Index multiplied by Slope Rating of Tees Played divided by 113.
For example: Your handicap index is 14.6 and you played a course with a slope of 127. The formula is: 14.6x127/113. The answer to this example is 16.4. Your course handicap is therefore 16 (round up or down).

Did you catch the adjustment made? Because the slope of the course you played was higher than the average (113), you were given extra strokes. Your handicap index was raised to a course handicap of 16.

And that figure (course handicap) is the one used to determine how many strokes you get, and on which holes. If your course handicap is "1," then you get a stroke only on the No. 1 handicap hole. If your course handicap is "2," then you get strokes on handicap holes Nos. 1 and 2, and so on.

So if your course handicap is 18, you get a stroke on every hole. If it's 9, you get a stroke on the top 9 handicap holes, but not on the bottom nine. If it's 27, you get one stroke on every hole, plus another stroke on the top nine handicap holes.

Now you can play Tiger on even footing! :P

Apologies if this was too long and/or confusing. I love the GKL site and use it to scout local conditions whenever I return to the Bluegrass.
Greg
KYBOYINTHECITY
Newbie Poster

Postby stammalammy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:12 pm

"You can't believe all the quotes you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
stammalammy
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby JP » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:36 pm

"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Return to Rules Discussion