[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - course/slope ratings

course/slope ratings

Have a question? Maybe someone has the right answer. Or just vent about how you were beat by some obscure ruling that doesn't make sense to you. Maybe someone can explain why!

course/slope ratings

Postby jf » Mon May 15, 2006 10:32 pm

just wondering if course /slope ratings are ever updated.
I played a course a few weeks back, 6261yds, back tees with a rating of 69.1/123 with a par 71. being that the course was built back in the 50's and the trees being alot smaller back then and I would imagine the greens not being as fast, mabye that was accurate back then, but today the first tee has a shot between two trees 30 yds out about 30 ft apart and you better play a fade, if not your headed straight for the trees!!! the greens have so much slope, that 6 or 7 greens if you putt up to the hole the ball will roll back to where you started, if not farther!! that's bullshit and I'll never play there again. many of the trees squeeze the fairway making it tighter than I believe it was ment to be. most real golfer I talk too HATE the course, it's beautiful but way too unfair, which is too bad because it is a well laid out course,
do thet ever update the ratings?
jf
Veteran Poster

Postby wilma » Tue May 16, 2006 6:48 am

JF;

That is a SHORT course. We have noticed that course length plays an overly large role in rating courses. We have played several short courses that very clearly should be sloped much tougher than they are. Usually, that is because long hitting just puts you through fairways......shot-making courses [aka target golf].

That, btw, is to differentiate from course rating. If I understand the difference, rating has to do with the challenge to a prox scratch golfer, whereas slope has to do with a prox 20 handicapper, or so. If that is correct, then there should be more variation in the comparison between rating and slope than you generally find. I think.....

As for how often a course is rated/sloped, I do not know that answer. Perhaps Scoob could tell us something about that? I am certain he knows the answer for Lexington Publics.

Truth be told, I doubt I completely understand this [or perhaps much else....]. I have played courses with slopes that seem to indicate to me they 'phoned it in'; since it did not seem to relate at all to what I had just played.

You folks that work on golf sites, please chime in here. JF is asking an interesting question, and a complete explanation of rating/slope, how it works, how they do it, and how often, would be quite interesting and informative for us course lovers.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Ron » Tue May 16, 2006 2:45 pm

Below is some information and a link from the GHIN site.

Scoob is indeed the person to respond on the re-rating question, but it is my understanding that courses can be re-rated by request from the Pro at the course. Usually this would be done after some kind of make over that significantly changes the layout and or difficulty. The Kentucky Golf Association is responsible for evaluating and providing slope and rating for courses in Kentucky. They also provide the handicap number for each hole on the scorecard. Another situation that is sometimes difficult to understand how they arrived upon decision. Realize that odd numbers will always be on the front nine and even on the back when it comes to handicapping holes. So the number two handicapped hole could theoretically be more difficult than the number one handicapped hole. At least thats my understanding of the process.

Scoob also has a rules seminar at his course every year. Perhaps you guys that would like to get a little in-depth knowledge of the process would like to attend?

Ron

Slope Rating

The USGA mark that indicates the measurement of the relative difficulty for the bogey golfer compared to the Course Rating. Slope Rating is computed from the difference between the bogey rating and the Course Rating. The lowest Slope Rating is 55 and the highest is 155.

Scratch Golfer

Is one who can play to a "Course Handicapâ„¢ of zero on any and all rated golf courses. He (she) can hit tee shots an average of 250 (210) yards and reach a 470 (400)-yard hole in two shots.

Bogey Golfer

Is one with a Course Handicap of 20 (24). He (she) can hit tee shots an average of 200 (150) yards and can reach a 370 (280)-yard hole in two shots.

"USGA Course Ratingâ„¢

The USGA® mark that indicates the evaluation of the playing difficulty of a course for scratch golfers. It is based on yardage and other obstacles to the extent that they affect the scoring difficulty of the scratch golfer. Example: 68.5

Bogey Rating

The one number every golfer worse than a scratch should check before deciding which tees to play. This rating is the evaluation of the playing difficulty of a course for the bogey golfer. It is based on yardage, effective playing length and other obstacles to the extent that affect the scoring ability of the bogey golfer. To figure out this number, other than from looking at this database, the bogey golfer should take the Slope Rating & divide it by the set factor (5.381 for men, and 4.24 for women) and add that to the Course Rating. The result is a target score for the bogey golfer, and is a truer yardstick of the challenge that lies ahead for the particular set of tees.
Example: 96.3- which predicts the bogey golfer's average of his ten best (out of twenty) scores would be approximately 96.3 from this particular set of tees.

http://www.usga.org/playing/handicaps/c ... icles.html
Ron
Site Admin

Postby scoobdaddy » Tue May 16, 2006 9:48 pm

Thanks Ron for putting the pressure on me.......

Ron, as most on this site should already know, is correct in his post. The Kentucky Golf Association, part of KGA-PGA, Inc., handles the sloping and rating of member courses in the state. I'm not sure on this, but I think they recently (in the past 2 years, or so) went through a "re-sloping & rating" of most all courses in the state..... minus newer facilities. I think this was done due to different grading guidelines that had changed through the years.

Golf Professionals, Director's of Golf, Club Owners, or Club Presidents can call the KGA and ask for their own course to be re-sloped. Most would do this to account for course improvements, such as building of new tee boxes (whether it would be to lengthen, or in adding senior or women's tees), new bunkering, or re-routing of the course. There is a fee of $400 to have a golf course re-sloped & rated. While it may be expensive, it is good to do so because, in the long run, it gives your members a more honest handicap index# that they can apply to other courses they might play on.

I hope I didn't confuse anybody.......

Jeffrey Shelton, PGA
Picadome G.C
859-288-2990

P.S. Thanks again Ron, we DO host a rules seminar each year @ Picadome, and everyone's attendance would be welcome next Spring!!
scoobdaddy
Veteran Poster

Postby Ron » Wed May 17, 2006 8:56 am

Thanks Scoobdaddy. No pressure. I think I do remember Mr. Hill mentioning something about re-rating courses sometime ago at the Mid-Am or some KGA tournament.

On the rules seminar, check me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't having attended a rules seminar make you a more likely choice as a on course volunteer for PGA events? Seems like that would signify that you were both serious and knowledgable about being on a golf course during a tournament. I realize the PGA is not going to let volunteers make any rulings, but it occurs to me that having the rules course in your bag would be good credentials on the volunteer application.

I can see Doug now...standing out at Vahalla, shirtless with a big "Hush Y'all" sign in his hand. :lol:

Ron
Ron
Site Admin

Postby JP » Wed May 17, 2006 10:16 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby wilma » Wed May 17, 2006 1:29 pm

wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Actually Wilma/Doug already is a Volunteer