[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - May Poll Question: What Rule to you ignore most?

May Poll Question: What Rule to you ignore most?

Have a question? Maybe someone has the right answer. Or just vent about how you were beat by some obscure ruling that doesn't make sense to you. Maybe someone can explain why!

May Poll Question: What Rule to you ignore most?

Postby ukpikedave » Sat May 02, 2015 10:13 am

Have a new poll question up on the : What Rule do you and your regular game most violate/ignore? I'm not asking if you're a nefarious cheater or shady character, but rather, what technical violation, if any, has become commonplace or accepted amongst you and your golfing buddies.

You can vote .

As always, I'm interested in what the group has to say.
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

http://onebeardedgolfer.com - One Bearded Golfer blog
- You can follow me on Twitter (not sure why you would)
ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Re: May Poll Question: What Rule to you ignore most?

Postby smashdn » Mon May 04, 2015 2:39 pm

You really going to drive (or walk) back to where the group behind you is already on the tee baseball swinging drivers with a ball already teed up and tell them you are re-teeing?
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby foreleft » Mon May 04, 2015 3:18 pm

If you think your ball might have gone out of bounds, hit a provisional. No harm in that. On a new amateur tour I started playing on they also allow an option of dropping where it went out with a two stroke penalty instead of stroke and distance. That doesn't bother me because I think it speeds up play. If someone hits one towards ob left then hits a provisional way right, it could take a while to sort things out. Instead take a drop where you think it went out or got lost and you will be hitting your 4 shot from there. Really pisses me off when someone hits one towards ob and doesn't hit a provisional. Then they get down to find their ball ob and act like they don't have any options. Go back to the tee and try again. Maybe if you have to do that enough you will start hitting provisionals. Sometimes you loose a ball in the middle of the fairway and there is really nothing you can do. Go back and explain to the group in back of you if you want. Just tell them you are sorry but have to re tee. They should respect you for playing by the rules.
The only rule I ever broke with consistency was the 13 club rule. I would go to official tournament and stress about what clubs I was going to pull out of my arsenal.
When I was younger I was very liberal with the rules. Mulligans, do overs, foot wedges, and free drops. When I got married my father in law was a golf nut and we started playing a lot together. He was a rules nazi. He told me that if you don't play by the rules that you will never know what you really shoot.
I like being able to modify the rules within your group. Making everything lateral hazard will speed up play. That is another peeve of mine. People that re tee when they think they hit there shot in a hazard. That is one option, but your best option is always going to be to drop where it went in. You can't hit a provisional if you think your ball went in the hazard. Once you re tee in the circumstance, that ball is in play. Even if you find the first one.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby ukpikedave » Mon May 04, 2015 3:24 pm

What kind of league did you play in that only allowed 13 clubs?
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

http://onebeardedgolfer.com - One Bearded Golfer blog
- You can follow me on Twitter (not sure why you would)
ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Postby smashdn » Mon May 04, 2015 5:21 pm

Agreeing to waive the rules is also a rules violation.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Tue May 05, 2015 10:05 am

My history sounds a lot like Foreleft's. Growing up and even when I was in college, I was pretty lenient with the rules. I'd fluff lies and take improper drops or free drops if I couldn't find a ball. I grew up in a family of avid but unskilled golfers who believed in winter rules year-round, and I learned a lot of bad habits as a kid.

As I started to play more seriously, I had a few good friends that were college golfers. I started playing with them a lot and followed the rules much more closely to fit in, and found out that it was a lot more gratifying to shoot scores that were completely legit. Truthfully, I probably still fudged things a bit once in a while up until I played my first tournament or two and realized that I wouldn't be able to play to my handicap in tournaments or when wagering if I didn't become more demanding of myself.

There really isn't a rule that I think it's okay to waive. If we're competing, the groups I play in usually play match, fourball, or skins. Those formats allow you to pick up when you're out of a hole and post ESC for handicap purposes, but as long as we're in the hole we follow everything other than conceding putts inside the leather since it's a friendly game. When we play medal, the one modification we'll make to the rules is to set a max number you can take on a hole (usually a net quadruple bogey). It's sort of a fusion between Stableford and medal that saves you from grinding out double-digit scores while groups behind are waiting, but it's still a high enough limit to make sure that you're punished for a really bad hole.

The only rule that ever gets tricky to follow is an unexpected lost ball, but it's more embarrassing than anything. Just go back and hit it again. I've always said that if anyone from a group in front ever showed the integrity and guts to come back toward my group and rehit after a lost ball, I'd buy him a drink after the round out of respect. If you'd rather not do that, you're simply out of the hole.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Tue May 05, 2015 10:46 am

Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Tue May 05, 2015 11:31 am

Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Tue May 05, 2015 2:05 pm

Lefty,

What's the tour?

I don't really ignore very many of the rules. Probably in our group is conceding of putts. Like many of you have mentioned, I played on a terrible course growing up and often played with preferred lies. It's a way a lot of people back in Pineville play. When Wasioto opened and it was great a lot of guys still played the same way, rolling the ball everywhere. As soon as I started playing in Invitational events in college I changed my ways really quickly and played the ball down. I probably play better playing it down.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby smashdn » Wed May 06, 2015 9:54 am

I fail to see how not moving the ball or fluffing your lie creates 5 hour rounds. If a guy is shooting 113 by rolling it he is probably isn't gaining that much of an advantage by doing so. If he duffs it from a fluffy lie or from hardpan what difference does it make except the time it takes him to employ the foot wedge?
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Wed May 06, 2015 11:09 am

Rolling the ball on closely mown areas is a joke. It's strange to me that golf is so worried about its rules making the game too difficult to play, especially for something like playing the ball as it lies, which I think is the most fundamental rule in the game aside from "Get the ball in the hole in the fewest number of strokes." The idea of a league allowing you to roll your ball on closely mown areas is insane to me. It would be like a basketball league that allows you to travel.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I find golf's culture of disregard for rules to be confusing. For instance, I've played in groups that give relief for balls lying on rocks or similar situations. Now, I get it - clubs are expensive and no one wants to scrape up the bottom of their 7 iron hitting off a rock. But that's what the unplayable rule is for. Why do we find it so hard to stomach adding a stroke to our score that we'll avoid doing so even at the expense of potentially saving $140 on a club?

I'm not even saying I wouldn't take the same relief if it was offered to me in a group. I know that there was a time when I had quite a vanity handicap due to taking some liberties with the rules. But I don't understand why I found it gratifying to call myself a 12 when I was really probably closer to a 16 or 17, nor do I understand why other golfers do it now. Why was it so important to say "Oh I shot 81!" when I really took a couple mulligans and picked up some 4 footers? I'm not really going anywhere with this, but I just don't understand why golf seems to be the only game where we casually ignore rules for the mere sake of ego preservation, especially given how cheaply that ego preservation is attained and how meaningless it really is. I've never thought less of someone else for their shooting a 107 instead of a 94 instead of an 81, and I've never thought less of someone else for being a 27 handicap as opposed to a 17 as opposed to a 7. I have, however, thought less of sandbaggers and vanity handicappers once I've sniffed them out. So why is it that so many golfers think so much less of themselves if they shoot a 94 instead of an 81 that they're willing to lie to themselves and build a vanity handicap that lets them say to themselves and others that they're "A 9!" when, after two holes, everyone in the group is aware that they're kidding themselves?
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby smashdn » Wed May 06, 2015 12:27 pm

We scrambled (2 person) and shot 45 (9) yesterday. But we played it down and even went back to the box and re-teed once. Holed all putts as there was no one there to give us gimmes.

We had a heck of time too.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby foreleft » Thu May 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Return to Rules Discussion