Tiger's Drop

Have a question? Maybe someone has the right answer. Or just vent about how you were beat by some obscure ruling that doesn't make sense to you. Maybe someone can explain why!

Tiger's Drop

Postby JP » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:30 am

Well, that's turned into quite the hullabaloo. What do you guys make of it? I tend to agree with Jason Sobel, "If Woods is disqualified, it again shines a spotlight on rules discussions: If the No. 1 player gets confused, how can the rest of us play? "
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Re: Tiger's Drop

Postby LordofthePings » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:41 am

My thoughts are this: Because Tiger stated he didn't like options 1 (drop zone) or 2 (line from where it entered), and he chose option 3 (as close as possible to where you hit the original shot) and he flatly stated he intentionally dropped it 2 yards further back to get an advantage, he should be DQ'd.

I think it would be better for him, long term, to just DQ himself. He doesn't need to win this thing and put another asterisk by his name if he should end up with 18 or 19 majors.

Regardless, no one will convince me he didn't know what he was doing when he made that drop.
LordofthePings
Veteran Poster

Postby thurman » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:16 am

I just don't like DQ'ing a player based on what he said in a press conference. I don't really like the two stroke penalty, but it's better than the alternative.

The committee looked at the drop while Tiger was finishing play and decided it was within the rules. After the round, Tiger said the words "two yards." If he just doesn't give the interview post round, he's sitting at -3 right now and no one would've talked about it ever again.

This recent trend of rules violations assessed after the fact based on HD super slow-mo reviews and viewer call-ins is ridiculous.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby LordofthePings » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:49 am

I agree about the "fan" officials. I don't like these call-in rulings.

I'm sure Tiger knew the rule, and I really do think Tiger knew he was stretching the limits of the rule, and getting an unfair advantage, by dropping two yards behind rather than "close" to where the original shot was. I realize "close" is subject to interpretation, but in this instance, I'm sure most would agree we're talking inches, not yards.
LordofthePings
Veteran Poster

Postby smashdn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 am

If the intent is to play the ball "as closely as possible" as the last shot, why do the rules even have you drop it? Just place it in the middle of the divot and go.

Poorly written rule IMO. What is the intent of the rule? Do they want you to play from the exact same spot? Then place it. Do they want you to play from the exact same lie? Then recreate it. (As in in a hazard.) Or do they want you to drop it so that you end up with a random lie? That way you have chance at play but also the opportunity to not be "as close as possible" to the last played shot.

I think the drop is an overrated way to put the ball back in play for the assumed purposes of doing it that way. (ie, randomness I suppose and the inability to fabricate a preferred lie)
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby BigVMan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:02 pm

There are a LOT of stupid, utter confusing rules in golf. With that said...probably more than any other sport...golf if about playing by the rules and is considedred the "gentlemans sport". Tiger signed an incorrect score card, point blank. Tiger did something he wasn't supposed to do, point blank. He should have been DQ'd and would have been had his name been...Josh Teeter, or any other of about 6 dozen or so "journeyman" golfers out there. Personally I hope this opens up a huge can of worms and a big stink is raised next time something like this happens and a golfer is DQ'd. I can see it now"...but Mr. Committie Chairman...I didn't do anything Tiger didn't do. Why dq me"?
BigVMan
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Danny, two years ago I would've agreed. But with the changes to Rule 33-7, there was no reason to DQ him. He deserved the two stroke penalty that he got, and nothing more. I really think any other player would've gotten the same treatment. It's just the rule now.

Daniel, the drop is just the standard way of putting a ball back in play aside from situations where it's been marked or, as you mention, in a hazard. The reason it says "as closely as possible" is to prevent a player from gaining advantage. For instance, if the rule said "within two club lengths," then a player close to a tree can get a pretty substantial advantage by dropping far enough away to ensure his swing isn't restricted. The idea is that you should be replaying the same shot you just hit as closely as possible. You could be right that placing the ball to recreate the lie would be a better way to accomplish that, but the drop is ultimately probably a more honest way of doing it most of the time.

The reason you can't just place in your divot is that the divot is technically closer to the hole (on a decent strike).
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby wilma » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Let me repeat what I said in another thread.

This was very clear. Sequence of event:

1. Tiger hits pin, ball goes into water.

2. Tiger assumes [wrongly] the line rule is option, that is, he can drop at spot of play or anywhere back of that in line to pin.

3. Official TELLS Tiger an irregularity was investigates but the HE WAS FINE.

4. Tiger therefor signs card.

5. Tiger, in his interview, tells TV audience that he took two yards back along the line to avoid repeat. [This makes it clear Tiger still thought rule he used was correct].

6. Rule Committee is informed of interview and that Tiger used wrong rule, by TV viewer.

7. Rule committee calls Tiger in and explained. Tiger has signed when OFFICIAL told him to. But new evidence shows he made illegal drop. Told him he was given 2-stoke penalty. Tiger now understands he did wrong rule. Accepts penalty.

Do you understand? Tiger was told to sign the card. And rule now states that if it is discovered later by TV the DQ is not necessary. Tiger did what he was told, then accepted when he realised his origional drop was based on wrong rule.

If this had not been Tiger, I firmly believe no controversy would be forthcoming. But he did what he was supposed to. And apparently so did Rules Committee.

Doug

PS: Wait till you see Thurman's reply to this ........... :wink:
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby wilma » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:29 pm

Oh, and Thurman, let me return it by saying you are right about the divot. If you observe Tiger's result, you KNOW the divot is from a 'decent stroke'. LOL
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby stammalammy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:03 am

Here's an interesting one: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/golf--phot ... 53354.html

Pics from same location, instead of varying TV camera angles, that makes it look like Tiger thought he dropped two yards back but must have used the wrong reference point for his two yards.

The DQ talk is silly, be a dumb move for everyone and all the people calling for it would be calling him a cry baby, sore loser and blaming him for something else.
"You can't believe all the quotes you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
stammalammy
Semi-Pro Poster

Return to Rules Discussion