[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - Hazard question

Hazard question

Have a question? Maybe someone has the right answer. Or just vent about how you were beat by some obscure ruling that doesn't make sense to you. Maybe someone can explain why!

Hazard question

Postby inkster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:07 pm

To Gump or Scoob or whoever else might no. Sunday on the first hole The opposing team one of the players hits his ball left in the hazard. We find it and he chooses to hit out of the hazard being reminded of all his options. He hits his ball and advances the ball about thirty yards, but never leaves the hazard. He then cannot find the ball. He comes straight out of the hazard and chooses to drop and play from that point. Remember the ball never left the hazard. Gary and I both thought that was the wrong place to play from but didnt exactly know what the rule was.
What would have been the proper ruling?
2009 GKL semi-finalist and took it on the chin from Friar Tuck
inkster
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby scoobdaddy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:01 pm

The ruling should have been that since he chose to hit FROM the hazard, and the ball he hit never exited and re-entered the hazard, he HAD go back and hit it from that prior spot..... THE HAZARD!!

He would HAVE to replay that shot from the hazard AGAIN. Plain & simple. He could not re-do the scenario and take his drop, from the original ball's entry into the hazard, or replay the original shot that put him in the hazard to begin with.

True...choosing to play the ball "as it lies" in the hazard, is ALWAYS an option.... but you had better not screw it up.!!!

Now that was a horrible ruling :shock:
Jeff Shelton, PGA

859-288-2990

jshelton@lexingtonky.gov
scoobdaddy
Veteran Poster

Postby JP » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:36 pm

I've seen a guy (in a casual round) try to play one from out of the little creek that fronts #7 green at Gibson Bay. Still shaking my head over that. Guy was a good player too.

I have only tried to hit out of a hazard once. It was in last year's city tournament. I was playing very well and then on #9 at Lakeside I pulled a drive into the hay. I was lucky enough and found the ball nestled under some long, wispy grass. I decided I could play it like a bunker shot and blasted it perfectly back into the right side of the fairway. From there I hit 3W, PW to about 15 feet. Missed the par putt but tapped in for a bogey and a net 34.
Last edited by JP on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:23 am

Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:30 pm

"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby inkster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:55 pm

several years ago Gary and I were in a two man at Old Cap. I hit behind a tree and he hit in the creek. The only shot I had was to hit a forty foot hook around the tree. Ifailed. Gary played from the middle of the creek and parred the hole
2009 GKL semi-finalist and took it on the chin from Friar Tuck
inkster
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby PRPcoach » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Scoob is right - he would have to drop in the hazard for his next shot, but from there he would have the option of taking relief from the hazard for an extra stroke - but his options would be limited as to the relief he can take. Its rule 26-2
So for example - said golfer hits stroke 1 into hazard, and stroke 2 was his attempt to hit out of hazard unsuccessfully. Stroke 3 would be the drop back in the hazard - and stroke 4 could be trying to hit it again or dropping outside that hazard and playing 5
Frank Beard "I tried to catch you last week Dave but you were too good"
Dave Hill "Beard, you couldn't beat me with a hammer!"
PRPcoach
Rookie Poster

Postby brofuqua » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:17 pm

Whats the "wilma" rule on this?
Whatever it is,thats how I'm playin' it :wink: :D
2 Quail Chase Mens League Championships.
2 1st place trophys
2 for 2,retired undefeated

brofuqua
Champions Tour Poster

Re:

Postby wilma » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:33 am

125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Re: Hazard question

Postby stammalammy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:10 pm

I really like the wording "...not much closer to the hole."
"You can't believe all the quotes you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
stammalammy
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby wilma » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:39 am

125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby brofuqua » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:31 pm

I hope your back/shoulder,or whatever gets better,because I want to play in ur group,wilma, at the next outing :wink:
2 Quail Chase Mens League Championships.
2 1st place trophys
2 for 2,retired undefeated

brofuqua
Champions Tour Poster

Return to Rules Discussion