[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - Bunker full of water...

Bunker full of water...

Have a question? Maybe someone has the right answer. Or just vent about how you were beat by some obscure ruling that doesn't make sense to you. Maybe someone can explain why!

Bunker full of water...

Postby BSS » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:30 pm

I was playing Kearney last Friday and I ran into a situation that I wasn't sure how the rules worked.

On hole #13, I hit my drive into a bunker that was completely full of water(no where in the bunker to take relief). What should I have done?

I looked at 25-1 B, and it says:

b. Relief
Except when the ball is in a water hazard or a lateral water hazard, a player may take relief from interference by an abnormal ground condition as follows:
(i) Through the Green: If the ball lies through the green, the player must lift the ball and drop it without penalty within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must not be in a hazard or on a putting green. When the ball is dropped within one club-length of the nearest point of relief, the ball must first strike a part of the course at a spot that avoids interference by the condition and is not in a hazard and not on a putting green.

(ii) In a Bunker: If the ball is in a bunker, the player must lift the ball and drop it either:(a) Without penalty, in accordance with Clause (i) above, except that the nearest point of relief must be in the bunker and the ball must be dropped in the bunker, or if complete relief is impossible, as near as possible to the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole, on a part of the course in the bunker that affords maximum available relief from the condition; or (b) Under penalty of one stroke, outside the bunker keeping the point where the ball lay directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the bunker the ball may be dropped.

So I guess since I couldn't have possibly dropped the ball in the bunker, I should have used rule 25-1B(ii)(b) which I essentially did but I didn't take a stroke penatly. Is this rule saying a bunker full of water becomes the same thing as a pond. Or should I be looking at a different rule?
BSS
Pro Poster

Postby wilma » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:40 pm

I know I have seen on PGA Tour, when a rainstorm filled a bunker, that they got a FREE drop back from the bunker, club length I think.

Joe says 2004-2005 rulebook says 1 stroke penalty, but I remember otherwise. It seem this came up because a rainstorm that delayed play filled the bunker. Those who played it earlier were not penalized, so the 'local ruling' was no penalty for those after. I wish I could remember which tourney, since it is so rare that USGA/R&A actually make rulings favorable to players.

Oh well, what can I say, except to paraphrase from 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre': "Rules? Ve don't need no stinkin' rules!" :P

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:31 pm

Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:15 pm

A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:31 am

Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:18 pm

I know what you mean. In the past when I've been playing after a washout or something, most of the guys in the group will want to just drop out no penalty. I dont see anything wrong with it really. It's just from a tournament standpoint where you have to worry about that. In a lot of cases, those running a tournament will say as they are about to send you back out they will say that these bunkers have standing water and they will play as GUR. It comes down to local rules at that point, and more often than not you will see players get relief.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Ron » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:46 pm

If you were playing in a tournament the bunker would be marked "unplayable" as was the case in the PGA tournament Doug mentioned. It should be marked unplayable in an everyday situation too, but we all know that isn't likely to happen. When we come upon this situation we form "the commitee", have a quick meeting and deem the bunker unplayable. Free drop. :wink:

Ron
Ron
Site Admin

Postby brofuqua » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:43 pm

2 Quail Chase Mens League Championships.
2 1st place trophys
2 for 2,retired undefeated

brofuqua
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Ron » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:16 am

Ron
Site Admin

Postby brofuqua » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:07 pm

You form a commitee,I form a commitee...Sounds the same to me :roll:
But of course ur talking about differences..and I'm talking about similiarities :wink:
get on the same page :roll:
I wouldn't expect u to know the difference :P
You're gettin' as bad as Doug :roll: :lol:
2 1st place trophys

brofuqua
Champions Tour Poster

Postby wilma » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:08 pm

125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby brofuqua » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:23 pm

At least we form a commitee :wink: :lol: :lol:
2 1st place trophys

brofuqua
Champions Tour Poster

Return to Rules Discussion