[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - Kenny Rapier (aka My Old KY Home)

Kenny Rapier (aka My Old KY Home)

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Kenny Rapier (aka My Old KY Home)

Postby sdroy1968 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:14 pm

sdroy1968
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby brofuqua » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:40 pm

2 Quail Chase Mens League Championships.
2 1st place trophys
2 for 2,retired undefeated

brofuqua
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:15 pm

Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby brofuqua » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:12 pm

2 1st place trophys

brofuqua
Champions Tour Poster

Postby mcgreggor57 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:27 am

mcgreggor57
Rookie Poster

Postby foreleft » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:33 pm

Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby brofuqua » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:33 pm

Played out here Sunday with Lucky,Slippery Grips,and Mrs. SG..The course was in pretty good shape,except for the ragged tee boxes.Greens were medium speed.Bunker work seems to be complete.I finally got rid of the "yanks" and shot 82.SG said he was even on the back,but he didn't even finish #11 :roll: :roll: We played the tips of this short course at 6385 yds.
This was Lucky's 2nd round of the season,and she was trying to use my old King Cobra II irons,so she struggled a little.Mrs. SG did OK,for maybe her 1st round of the season.Her best shot was off the tee at #17.She duck-hooked it down the hill on the left,and bounced it off the cart of the group behind us,who were waiting for us to tee off before going up to the par 3's green :shock: WAKE UP!!!I didn't even see them until I followed the path of the ball.I think I yelled fore at the same time the ball hit the cart :lol: I can laugh because I wasn't in that cart :D
Heres some pics.

#2 143 yd par 3 for us...109 yds for the ladies.Lucky on the tee.Look at that form.Thats either before or after her club touched her left leg :wink: We're working on that.

Same hole with Mrs. SG

#7 157 yd par 3,with Slippery

From behind #8's green watching the approach shots of Lucky and Mrs. SG

#14 96 yd par 3 for the ladies.Thats a GIR 8)

Play was a little slow,but its always a great day with Lucky to keep me company.Ain't that right,foreleft? :D
2 1st place trophys

brofuqua
Champions Tour Poster

Postby beebs4201 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:57 pm

beebs4201
Veteran Poster

Postby LarryK » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:07 am

Played there LAST Friday and found it to be in reasonably good shape overall. A few greens have gotten "stressed," and it almost looks like they don't change the pin positions that often. I may be way off on that, though.

Got the twilight rate of $26.75. Apparently they only do "twilight" once or twice a week. And no senior rates. Strange marketing out there. :?:
LarryK
Veteran Poster

Re: Kenny Rapier (aka My Old KY Home)

Postby BigVMan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:49 pm

Played here yesterday (4/13). Brutally windy. Had one exposed tee box the wind was blowing so hard blew the ball off the tee 3 times, and the tee was only about 3/4 inch out of the ground as I was teeing off with a 3 wood. Probably not a good day for golf, easily a 3 club wind when hitting into it. Anyway, as for the course, it's not in as good a shape as I thought it would be. Fairways still dormant and have patchy weeds in them, no where close to even looking like they are greening up. Rough was decent but I found several patchy areas with just dirt. Was in 2 bunkers and they appeared to be pretty decent, but did see a lot of standing water in a couple of others. Greens were about as slow as any green I have putted on, anywhere, even with the crazy wind blowing across some of the more exposed ones. Hole markings are terrible and if like me you are not familiar with the course it is VERY easy to not know where you are going and go to the wrong hole. One of the more strangely routed courses I have played.

As for layout...it's ok I guess. It's not a very long course, coming in at just under 6,400 yards at the tips. I probably like the front more so than the back. 15 is just a boring, ugly par 4 hole made very hard with a narrow fairway with no where to go and a tough approach to the green. It looks like an "afterthought" hole to me. 16 is just a very long downhill par 3...kind of dramatic looking but a blasé hole I think. Couple of week holes on both sides really, but front just seems a little more interesting overall.

Forgot to add...tee boxes were terrible all over. maybe that improves as the season goes along...I sure hope so cause they were BAD.
BigVMan
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby cesmal » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:05 am

Played MOKH yesterday. We have been avoiding bermuda courses, but heard that the fairways at MOKH were OK. It was surprising to me that the fairways were in pretty good shape. A few bare patches here and there, with only #15 being a real problem. It was about 50% dirt. Best bermuda fairways I have seen this year, including South Park CC where we are members. Rosewood is only 25 miles down the road and it is a goat ranch. Greens were smooth, but slow and the tee boxes were ragged. Still, a nice course for a short hitter like me. I enjoy playing it.
cesmal
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby ukpikedave » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:42 am

Got out to MOKH Monday for 18. The course is in fine summer shape. It appeared that most of the damage done to the Bermuda fairways from the '14 & '15 winters has recovered, with the obvious exception of Hole #15. They actually have a petition in the Pro Shop for people to sign to ask the powers that be in Frankfort to have #15 redesigned, because apparently they just can't grow grass in the fairway due to it being permanently wet (natural drainage grades from the left (high side) across the fairway to the right (low side).

The greens were sneakily slow when going both uphill and downhill on those steep slopes in-between tiers, but they were in good shape rolling straight and true. It's not a championship length or caliber course, and Tom Doak & the tweed-clad GCA heads would probably crucify it, but it remains one of my favorites just because it's so much fun.
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

http://onebeardedgolfer.com - One Bearded Golfer blog
- You can follow me on Twitter (not sure why you would)
ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Postby thurman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:30 pm

Sounds like Docugs, A-Dub, CrissB and I need to dust off our tweed jackets and go down there for an outing. I was planning to play it tomorrow actually as I have a few friends heading to Bardstown to hit the Bourbon Trail, but I won't be able to go that far due to a schedule conflict so I'm planning Otter Creek instead.

I haven't played it. Why would Doak & Co. crucify it?
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby ukpikedave » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:16 pm

I joke about it because when they added the new holes/renovated the course, the only thing consistent across all the holes are the giant, sloping/tiered greens.

The first two holes are in a pretty heavily treed area, then you head out to a treeless expanse that criss-crosses around an effluent pond on top of the hill (with a great view of the Distillery), then you head back into the woods to finish the front.

On the back, you skim the woods in favor of some more open, rolling terrain with just a few smaller trees. To protect par, the holes start turning with much sharper doglegs, until you get back into the woods coming home.

There's nothing obviously terrible about any of the individual holes (other than 15's fairway), but some of the doglegs are pretty severe and I'd be hard pressed to say the groups of holes fit together well. Reminds me A LOT of the Players Club Course at Foxfire outside Columbus if you've played there post-renovation.

from last year.
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

http://onebeardedgolfer.com - One Bearded Golfer blog
- You can follow me on Twitter (not sure why you would)
ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews