[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - The Falls Resort Course - 2016 Summer

The Falls Resort Course - 2016 Summer

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

The Falls Resort Course - 2016 Summer

Postby ukpikedave » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:13 pm

So, below are a handful of pics from our summer get together at The Falls. I'll try to have more/different ones when I write the course up for my blog.

From my perspective, the layout is still good-to-solid. It's relatively scenic & pretty. It requires all kinds of different shots. There are some obvious risk/reward opportunities. The greens were a little small and a little flat for my liking, but nothing terrible from a design standpoint.

The conditions are still the obvious story at The Falls. Crabgrass was the predominant turf on all the tees, most of the fairways and rough. Conditions of the greens varied greatly from okay to Oh My God. There simply isn't any chemical budget. They're still in "mow whatever grows" mode.

Also, there are obvious infrastructure concerns. Beyond crap cart paths, we encountered LOTS of leaking water infrastructure, making us conclude there remains lingering damage from the shutdown and past winters that the operators simply can't afford to fix. Unfortunately, especially around the greens, it does affect playability.

For me, it was by no means a wasted trip. I was able to enjoy a really solid layout with a couple of genuinely nice guys that I enjoyed playing with. And unlike some other courses that refuse to acknowledge/accept what they've become, The Falls was probably priced-right at < $30 to ride on a weekend.

In all honesty, the course is probably 2 years and $2 million from restoring its past glory. I may go back in a few years out of pure, morbid curiosity. But it's got a ways to go to be a "destination" golf course again.

First tee

Second green

Fourth tee

Fourth green

Sixth fairway
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

http://onebeardedgolfer.com - One Bearded Golfer blog
- You can follow me on Twitter (not sure why you would)
ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Re: The Falls Resort Course - 2016 Summer

Postby ukpikedave » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:27 pm

And now for some from the back nine.

10th green

11th tee (brutal uphill, dog-leg right)

16th fairway (which we think used to be the 18th fairway)

16th approach

17th green

18th tee
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Postby smashdn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:13 pm

"The rough seems particularly rough today."

The bad was very bad as you can see in the picture of the second green. It was probably the worst shape of all the greens on the course save for the practice green.

It is in sad shape agronomically for sure. According to both the guy I did my brief ride around with back in early summer and the lady in the pro-shop a local farmer has bought the course and is basically just sitting on it until a suitable owner can be found.

Ditto the infrastructure issues. Leaking sprinkler systems around some of the greens left conditions ranging from "extra lush" to downright swampy.

None of the bunkers had sand in them. All were left to grow in with crab grass. They were mowed at rough height but you can imagine that there are areas in them where a mower can't get into well.

The bones are there however. Buy it for whatever the asking price is and drop 3-4 mill in it and you would have her back on track.

I would re-grass to zoysia fairways as I have found them to be both more cold tolerant and they green up sooner than bermuda. Same for tees. At one time the very back tees were bent here (memory is rusty but think so). There is enough tee area to close a box at a time, nuke and re-grass.

The greens that were in the worst shape are the small ones surrounded by trees. Leads me to believe a combination of traffic (hard to imagine that I know) and poor air circulation are doing them no favors. Plus they were sloppy wet creating some disease and fungal issues I am sure. Blow up the bad ones one nine at a time and re-do them from the core up. Few fit the surrounding ground well. It would be an opportunity to build better draining greens as well.

I would completely blow up #17, what used to be #10 and start fresh with it. I don't know what I'd do but I dislike that hole as a whole.

And as much as I like the new #18 as 18 the old 18 is maybe better. Both are birdeable holes that do well as closers. You almost have two good closing holes out there.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby smashdn » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:31 pm

If you Facebook, The Falls announced today that the course has been sold with hopes that the new owners will help bring the course back.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby smashdn » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Screenshot_2017-01-27-11-25-31.png
Screenshot_2017-01-27-11-25-31.png (325.51 KiB) Viewed 883 times

Here you guys go.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby smashdn » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:06 pm

And now as they are supposedly nearing the projected opening date I cannot find their facebook page. I find some old ones and an unofficial that only has two likes that I think is also dead.

Anybody have any news on The Falls or if they are calling themselves something different already?
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby golfer1155 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:37 am

Yes they were at the Golf Show this weekend. Will be Open starting the 15 th of March. Going back to laFayete as the name.
golfer1155
Veteran Poster

Postby smashdn » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Good to hear. I hope that the new owners show that place some love. Fun course that would be even more fun if the conditions were better.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby sdroy1968 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:14 am

Sad to see what has become of this course over the years. When it first opened in the late 90's those greens were just fantastic, even though the fairways never quite caught up. Always really liked the original layout.
sdroy1968
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby smashdn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:51 am

Went on a cross KY road trip on Saturday with the family. Good excuse to show wife the old mill and wooden bridge at Falls of Rough 8)

Greens that I saw were pretty shaggy but had recently been topdressed with sand. Some maintenance is taking place. They must have been having a meeting or something going on at the course. Nobody was out playing but the parking lot was full.

Fairways (again that you can see while driving in and from the parking lot) were greenish, which is not a good sign as they should be dormant bermuda. Tee boxes were a little rough and shaggy as well.

There was new bunker sand in a few of the bunkers that I could see.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby smashdn » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:46 pm

That is new no 16 (old 18?) form the 11th when I was there. Didn't play but swung through the lot and tried to sneak a peak.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby ukpikedave » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:11 pm

I noticed the course was now listed on GolfNow under the Lafayette G.C. name.

$43 for a weekend tee time w/ cart.

Better have been a shitload of maintenance that occurred between last summer and this spring.

ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews