[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - Boone's Trace National

Boone's Trace National

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Boone's Trace National

Postby Docugs » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:02 pm

I made the trip to check out what was going on here. It's good to see the property owners getting control of the club, they are starting to do some good things. First the Guard at the front gate is back and you now have to check in to gain access. The Club house has been cleaned up some, and the back porch has now been enclosed with glass that can be removed so they can use that space all year, so that's a plus. There were some poles being set out by the putting green, I think that will be a new score board.

The course is in good shape, best I have seen it in years. The rough has been cut short, I would guess it's around 1.5 inches, you won't be losing any balls. There is no Heather on the course any more either, so if you hit it wild, you will either find your ball, or you will be out of bounds. There are new Ob and hazard stakes on the course now, including stakes to leave the fairway, everything is well marked. Greens were pretty slow, but have hardly any ball marks on them. The pro was working out some sort of deal with one of the juniors, when I walked in, to go out and fix all the ball marks on the front side. That's a good thing, I like seeing pro's teach junior golfers things like this. The bunkers looked raked, but they didn't have any thing in them, they were pretty much dirt. There were 4 test bunkers on the course that had new white sand in them. If that is the direction the club chooses to go, that will be the next thing you see. I did see a pretty large pile of this new sand up by the maintenance barn. There are new paved cart paths too, they put those in some time last summer.

Overall the club appears to be going in the right direction. If all those property owners were members, maybe they could go private in a few years. Saw a good number of junior golfers out today, but the course wasn't crowded, we got around in about 3 hours and paid 24 bucks. There are some pretty good pics on their facebook page of the back porch if you would like to see what all that looks like now.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Re: Boone's Trace National

Postby ukpikedave » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:58 am

Glad to hear the course is coming back a little bit. The cart path conditions had gotten to be notorious (which I think is a fair indicator of course financial health), so I'm glad that someone is once again making capital investments in the course. Mowing the rough improves playability so much, especially at Boone's Trace, where you have some jagged fairway routing.
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

http://onebeardedgolfer.com - One Bearded Golfer blog
- You can follow me on Twitter (not sure why you would)
ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Postby A-Dub » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:35 pm

I like to hear they might be turning things around. I always enjoyed 'The Bull" and thought it was a fun course that you can go low on. Sure it has some stupid holes, but overall a fun course. Would like to get back down to play it sometime. Maybe that will be the spot we play when we have our Fantasy Football draft this year.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby BigVMan » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:58 pm

Played here yesterday (6/13). Course in very good shape. Has always been one of my favs. and I like what the homeowners are doing out there.
BigVMan
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby ukpikedave » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:16 pm

Got down to Boones Trace today. Considering the deluge we got yesterday, the course was soggy, but otherwise in great shape. Tees, fairways, greens, even the bunkers looked good. I didn't notice anything on the course all day that made me say, "Aw, that's a shame." And man, what a difference a little bit of asphalt

I know that the layout isn't necessarily a favorite amongst some in this crowd, but from a conditioning perspective, it's back to being a viable option for a fun, somewhat challenging round in Central Kentucky.
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

http://onebeardedgolfer.com - One Bearded Golfer blog
- You can follow me on Twitter (not sure why you would)
ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Postby bobgeorge » Fri May 13, 2016 11:33 pm

I made it out to play Boone's Trace this afternoon and have to say overall it is a nice course. It was my first time playing the course & some of the tee shots require hitting blind shots which makes it tough.

I will say I'm not a fan of a course where almost every fairway is severely tilted...makes for very tough approach shots into smallish greens.

Anyone know what is going on with the bunkers? A lot of them were just dirt/mud.
bobgeorge
Newbie Poster

Postby Docugs » Sat May 14, 2016 5:38 pm

Haven't been down there this year, but I would guess the bunkers just haven't been worked on with the amount of rain we've had. If I remember the bunkers were in good shape last year.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby Docugs » Mon May 30, 2016 10:42 pm

made it out for the first time this year, I guess any progress will be slow. I can't say that the course is in better shape than it was last year. They are cutting the fairways at a higher length, close to what lassing had last year, for the people who saw that. Greens were slow, 7.5 to an 8. I played with one of the top seniors in the state, and all he talked about was how slow the greens were. Bunkers are slowly being redone. 5,9,11,12,13,16,17,18 are all ground under repair. I asked how long to finish, I was told the rest of the summer. I could go out there and finish the bunkers quicker than they will get around to. It's playable, just get a deal. don't pay full rack rate.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby NewWildcatOrder » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:45 pm

The pro shop told me in March that the bunkers were supposed to be done at the end of April!

My short write up from my round in March is in the other "the bull for a laugh" thread.
NewWildcatOrder
Rookie Poster

Postby NewWildcatOrder » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:59 am

Anyone playing in the State Match Play out there this week? I have a few buddies in it, looks like a lot of guys are going LOW.
NewWildcatOrder
Rookie Poster

Postby Docugs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:42 am

Looks like the course got a late start on getting things in shape this year, but the course is still playable. They had some problems with the mowers, and getting enough people to man their crew. There was a resident who had volunteered his time and was cutting the rough.
Tee's and Fairways have been cut, a little long for my taste, at least they have been cut. There are a few patchy areas in some of the fairways that look like weeds, I didn't look close enough to tell, it just looked like the fairways hadn't been cut in a while.
Greens were ok, running on the slower side, maybe 8's They will be punched on the 26th.
Bunkers don't look great, but the 3 I was in had plenty of sand in them and played consistently. Around 10 have been removed.
About 75 yards of the ditch the runs up number one has had a drain pipe put in, covered and sod is now in place. That should cut down on people spending time looking for balls off that tee.

I hope they can bring this course back, it's behind where they were last year at this time. It's playable, just behind all the other options in the area.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews