[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - "New" Duckers Lake G.C.

"New" Duckers Lake G.C.

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

"New" Duckers Lake G.C.

Postby ukpikedave » Wed May 20, 2015 10:42 pm

After a few murmurs of speculation on various threads, I think we have our first definitive answer on what is going to happen to Duckers Lake in Frankfort.

Tonight, the powers that be unveiled a Twitter account for the new .

Apparently Man O' War Golf will be managing the course on behalf of Whitaker Bank. There isn't any indication when the course will reopen, but the Twitter account is kind of interesting because (in theory) they will continue to periodically post photos of the work that is being done to the course and facilities.

Not sure how much lipstick they can put on that pig, but if nothing else, I'll be interested to see the photos of what kind of renovations are made and how much earth is moved in bringing the course back.
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

http://onebeardedgolfer.com - One Bearded Golfer blog
- You can follow me on Twitter (not sure why you would)
ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Re: "New" Duckers Lake G.C.

Postby thurman » Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am

Some of those pictures are incredible. It's amazing how much work they needed to do after just being closed for a few months of growth. To be fair, a lot of the work probably had little to do with the closure and lots to do with neglect by the previous management group. For instance, I found this tweet on Kenneth Clayton's account. He's acting as superintendent for the project, and so I assume this is a photo of Duckers' equipment as maintained by the previous staff:

https://twitter.com/kennethdclayton/sta ... 7606497282
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby BSS » Thu May 21, 2015 4:37 pm

I drive through Duckers about once a week to see what's going on.....hoping the driving range would open back up. Noticed the old equipment(looking pretty sad) sitting by the parking lot a couple weeks ago. Then I noticed the back hoe sitting just to the left of the cart path by the water on #1 last weekend. I guess they are trying to make an actual draining channel for the pond overflow instead of it just flowing out into the flat area at the base of the hill that runs down #2. It would get pretty swampy in that area. I think they had continued to somewhat maintain the greens and I don't think the fairways needed too much work but some mowing. But the rough was really high in places. I actually think they need to leave it high in some areas, but I doubt they will because it will slow down play too much.
BSS
Pro Poster

Postby BSS » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:24 pm

Hit balls at the range today and walked down the first hole. The fairways are in typical nice summer zoysia condition. It looks like the bent false fronts to the greens may be a little stressed from the lack of maintenance. I also noticed that the back on the 3rd green has some stress issues, once again likely from the lack of maintenance due to not having management in place.

It doesn't look far off of being in the condition that you expect to see.

I'm not sure what they are charging for green fees.

I might play it tomorrow afternoon.
BSS
Pro Poster

Postby BSS » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Actually played 18 today.
-The tees and fairways and pretty much Duckers as usual.
-The new drainage canal down the left side of #2, along with not mowing the rough on top of the hill as short as the previous owners did has made it more difficult hole. Pretty much your only option as of now is to go down the fairway(the way it should be) but you can't aim down the bottom of the slope knowing it will kick back toward the fairway.
-The bent false fronts are stressed.
-The greens are stressed and still show the signs of being aerated. And they are still keeping them long. I guess to try to let them recover.
-The bunkers are in great shape with new sand. They have changed a few bunkers over to grass.
-It still needs time for them to get it into better condition. They need to mow the rough down a little more because finding your ball is difficult when don't see the ball land on so many blind shots. It sucks to look for your ball in thick taller rough when all you know is it was somewhere in a direction. I think the new management will learn that it's difficult for high handicappers to find balls on this course with the rough like it is.
-I'll be interested to see what the price structure will be. I think most of the Ducker's regulars were use to paying pretty cheap rates after 3 or 4pm.
BSS
Pro Poster

Postby BigVMan » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:47 pm

"Lipstick on a pig" is right Dave. They could invest a ton of money and do lots of work, and it still would be Duckers poor design and layout and an awful course.
BigVMan
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby Docugs » Thu May 26, 2016 12:05 pm

I friend posted a link on Facebook this morning. The Course is now listed with the MLS for sale at 2 million. Good luck with that.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews