Maywood

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Maywood

Postby hogancap » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:44 pm

Played it this morning, and it is in phenomenal shape. Highly recommend. Well done Maywood staff!
hogancap
Newbie Poster

Re: Maywood

Postby LordofthePings » Wed May 13, 2015 10:21 pm

First round of the year, excluding a 9 hole appetizer in January. Just haven't had the bug until lately, been spending my spare time fishing and painting, not enough time for golf.

But made it out to Maywood today, and now the juices are starting to flow. Played really well for the first time out, missing an ace on #16 by 2 inches and eagling 10. Funny how this game sometimes rewards you if you ignore it long enough.

Course was in great shape. The greens were quick and true, the traps had sharply cut edges and neatly raked, rough was thick (as it always is this time of year) but fair. Tee boxes were nice. Fairways coming in nicely, only a few blotches here and there.

Course was wide open, played as a twosome and took our time. Never were rushed, and never waited. Always enjoy playing this course.
LordofthePings
Veteran Poster

Postby A-Dub » Thu May 14, 2015 7:33 am

Maywood got a new Super this year that was an assistant at Valhalla. Maywood may soon enough garner a regular look to be worth the trip to play again. The owners were VERY much against doing a full aeration, and I am betting this guy was able to talk them into it. The former super had been there for a really long time and without trying to throw someone under the bus because he is a nice guy, believe that he was there just because he had been there so long and was very manageable. Anyway, if so maybe that will speed the greens up. I had always found them slow for how the greens looked. Might head down there one day this year.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby BigVMan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:53 am

Played Maywood Friday (7/3) with most of my round being in the rain. Was miserable and I played accordingly.

I haven't played here a lot, but I have to say my opinion after Friday is probably not as high as some others. I find the course rather long and boring. I say long...from the blues (#2 tees) it's about 6,500 yards according to the score card. Not overly long but pushing it for someone such as I. However, the first three holes, 1 and 2 are well over 400 yard par 4's and #3 an almost 600 yard par 5...I'm sorry, but that's a turn off right off the bat. I also find the course...just kind of uninteresting...not sure how else to put it. Not a bad course at all...just not interesting to me.
BigVMan
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby A-Dub » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:29 am

It's really not that interesting. I believe I have said as much before. It also has plenty of stupid holes too like 7 and 9. 11 and 12 are kind of interesting holes. 16 I suppose. The rest are eh. Nothing major from an architectural standpoint going on out there. But that is how I understand much of Pfaff's work has been.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby chrislindy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:37 am

Went back out to Maywood yesterday for the first time since 2004. As others have allued to above and I was reminded, there are a few reasons it took over a decade for a return pilgrimage. One, I forgot how stinking far it is to get to Bardstown. Even from the east side of Louisville, I was on the road for nearly an hour.

As for the course, BigV hit the nail on the head about the opening 4 holes. Even from a set of tees that doesn't measure 6,500 yards, you OPEN with two 420-yard par 4's and a 590-yard par 5. I was 10 minutes late for my tee time, so I didn't even swing a club before the first tee. That didn't immediately hurt me as I hit two decent drives (one just off the fairway right of 1, the other just left of the fairway on 2). What DID hurt me is my other beef with Bardstown CC.

Where the frack are the yardages? Whether in a fairway, on the par 3 tee boxes, or pretty much anywhere, you better have a range finder or uncanny visual sense of distance if you want to be properly clubbed. Other than the 100-yard markers and 150-yard posts, which were occasionally buried under grime or paint chipped to be nearly unrecognizable, I rarely saw any indicators of distance to the hole. Maybe a couple of 200-yard markers on the par 5's. You can just forget about distance on the par 3's other than guessing/hoping that your tee was where the scorecard said it should be (spoiler: the blues were not in their spot on any par 3 Sunday). Perhaps this needs to be chalked up to ignorance, but I was also annoyed that the cart exit posts were red like the 100-yard marker. Mistaking those as another visual indication, I flew a couple of approach shots before realizing the actual intent of the red posts.

Conditions were reasonably ok save for the greens... LOT of idiot marks and a few patches they had dropped the green sand on to try to save. But until/unless I invest in a range finder, it's probably going to be a while before I return.
Formerly CardinalEmpire.com
chrislindy
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby A-Dub » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:29 am

They had GPS for a long time out there, then they took them out a few years ago. I assume they got used to not really having to worry about having yardage markers, then never really added anything back. Not sure why they haven't. Maybe they assume everyone has phone GPS, GPS, SkyCaddie, Range Finders...
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby beebs4201 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:02 am

Played out at Maywood yesterday. Course conditions are much improved from what they were last year. I heard that they just about lost their greens last year. The course is back and looking good. The greens were in great shape. The course is tough when the wind blows out there and if you are spraying tee shots, you are sure to find a few out of bounds stakes. The rough is really thick out there as well.
beebs4201
Veteran Poster

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews