[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - Wasioto Winds G.C. - 2014

Wasioto Winds G.C. - 2014

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Wasioto Winds G.C. - 2014

Postby ukpikedave » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:58 pm

I got down to Pineville Mountain S.R.P. two weeks ago to play Wasioto Winds for the first time. The course was in good shape, with the tees, fairways, and greens all being in great shape for the most part. The rough was a little thin with a few weeds making their way from the rough towards the short grass, but not so much that it affected play.

Really had a great time. Not a bad course to play for a first time (i.e., not a lot of hidden trouble, what you see is what you get). You can check out the full write-up with pictures over at the Blog.

Also, I realize there was an existing thread for this course, but the fact the course's name was misspelled was too much for me.
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

http://onebeardedgolfer.com - One Bearded Golfer blog
- You can follow me on Twitter (not sure why you would)
ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Re: Wasioto Winds G.C. - 2014

Postby A-Dub » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:42 am

I haven't read the write up yet, I tabbed it out to take a look, but what did you think about the stretch of 5-7? What tees did you play? Did you have a favorite hole? I will probably have more questions after reading.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby ukpikedave » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:55 am

I loved the stretch of holes from No. 5 - 7. Tight, long, and tough, but not brutal, even from the tips. I thought that once we made it to the green, the simple reads were kind of like the reward for the long, hard slog to get there.

If they would shave the base of the mountain on 5 so that your average hacker, like me, could play a bank shot off the slope, it might be my favorite all-time hole.

We played the tips, and I thought from those tees, there were several great holes that would qualify as "favorites." Numbers 2, 5, 15, 17 and 18 all did it for me.
It only took 17 years to get invited to play Idle Hour CC, so we're moving up in the world.

http://onebeardedgolfer.com - One Bearded Golfer blog
- You can follow me on Twitter (not sure why you would)
ukpikedave
Veteran Poster

Postby A-Dub » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:01 am

That is how 5 used to play when the course first opened. Almost any shot that bailed out right would bounce or roll back down the side of that mountain. It's just so steep that its darn near impossible to keep it clean, as I am sure they would love to leave it to play like that, although thats what makes the 2nd shot so difficult now and forces you to make a decision. If you go for it you have to really hit a great shot, as there is no bail out either way. You can lay up and try to figure out where to hit it and how to stop it on that green that goes away from almost any approach. It is a relatively short par 5, so it needs a lot of the defense that it has.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Made my way down a couple weeks ago for the Kentucky Mountain Laurel Festival Invitational at Wasioto over Memorial Day weekend. Had about 75 in the field I think and gave away all Callaway stuff. My first day 73 was kinda sad (considering the 8 I took on number 5) and put me in the back of Championship flight....8 STROKES OUT OF FIRST. When they moved us back a tee on Sunday for Championship flight my 76 was a solid score on that day (with 3 penalty strokes on 5-7), but no match for the 9 under total that won.

As for the course, the greens were absolutely excellent. Smooth, fast, and receptive. The fairways were in really nice shape save a couple spots, and the rough was good in some areas and rough in others. Part of that is due to the big flood they had out there in early April, when there was still SNOW on the ground. As I've always said, around Mtn. Laurel time is the perfect time to get out to Wasioto. That time and in the fall the course is in primo shape and is tough to beat.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby cesmal » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:04 pm

Sorry to report that Wasioto is bordering on goat ranch status right now. We played it Saturday on the way to a stay & play at Woodlake GC in Tazewell, TN. The greens had been recently aerated and were basically Chinese checkers boards with lots of sand. Very bumpy and inconsistent. The fairways were just OK. You could find some places to tee off on the tees between the dead, sanded areas. The bunkers were not sand traps, they were hard dirt traps. Concrete-like in some cases. This course cannot be mentioned in a list with Dale Hollow, Grayson lake, etc. right now. To their credit, they gave us a $27 rate on a weekend, due to the poor course conditions.

Absolutely hate the front nine. Flat, straight and boring. The back nine is better, but if you are in the area, drive another 40 minutes south and play Woodlake, a real gem of a course.
cesmal
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby A-Dub » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:49 pm

The course had the unusual summer flood I believe about 4-6 weeks ago and it has been a struggle since then based on what I hear from back home. I will agree that the bunkers are not a positive out there, though they were better earlier this year than hard dirt. They really need to make the transition away from the bent. It is so hot and humid down in that valley bent is so hard to take care of.

I've gotta wonder how you can call it a goat ranch when the greens were just punched. That's not really a fair assessment in my opinion. I haven't seen the course since early this year, but it's hard to imagine.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby cesmal » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:50 am

Yeah, it's not a goat ranch now, but edging in that direction. Maybe some of the other issues contributed to that assessment. The drink and ice machines in the clubhouse were broken, one of the urinals overflowed and would not turn off and our cart died and would not make it up the hill to the clubhouse after playing 18. The guy said they had been having problems with the carts. Just a general aura of disrepair and disinterest in my opinion. I don't really like the course that much anyway, so I won't be back.
cesmal
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby A-Dub » Mon May 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Time for the yearly update. Played there this weekend. Greens were smooth but a little slower than past Memorial Day weekends. Fairways and tees were fine. They have mix in the fairways but I'm betting that has happened more now because I'm sure they aren't wasting chemical on the areas. Starting sometime in June they are going to start sprigging Bermuda. They needed to go away from the bent. I wish it were Zoysia but I'm sure the state didn't want to pop for Zoysia. Honestly with that going on it may be something to avoid out there, at least until August. Middlesboro CC probably got things back in order at the right time to make some money.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews