[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - Cherry Blossom

Cherry Blossom

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Cherry Blossom

Postby Docugs » Tue May 22, 2012 11:22 am

Played out there Monday after the Tournament and they still had the Sunday pins. The fairways and Greens were in good shape, Although I didn't think the greens were really fast, but they were smooth. They said they only got them to about 10 for the tournament. What did surprise me though was the rough. I guess they got hit a little harder last year than I thought. For the tournament they got the rough to 3 in., I had no problem hitting out of it, and have played thicker rough at other places this year. There are quite of few areas of hard pan in the rough, throughout the course. I missed the green on 3 right and the chip was off hardpan. Some areas of the course really looks like the rough is doing well and others it is very spotty, I can only guess that past year hurt them. Also I wish they would spay some and get rid of the clover it makes the ball even harder when you miss a fairway.

I guess that they will pour the water on this week and slow the greens down and give everything a chance to recover.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Re: Cherry Blossom

Postby JP » Tue May 22, 2012 11:28 am

I heard those guys were lighting the course up. Didn't one guy shoot a 63? I believe they said that was a competition round record for the course. I thought another guy the same day shot 64 too.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Tue May 22, 2012 11:57 am

I thought one of the guys last year shot in the 50s... I might be mistaken. Having a hard time finding the thread.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Tue May 22, 2012 1:08 pm

59 was shot out there a couple of years ago. You can get 63 a bunch during this tournament. As easy as the course was playing this year, and the good weather, I am surprised the winning score wasn't lower.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby stammalammy » Wed May 23, 2012 12:40 am

Average for those making the cut was 68.7. 156 guys, 61 made the cut so 400 some rounds, 4 63s and 1 62. Doesn't sound too terribly easy to me, seems about right.

I'm not going to go discounting those scores by calling the course easy.
"You can't believe all the quotes you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
stammalammy
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby JP » Wed May 23, 2012 9:12 am

So I guess it was actually 62 that set the competition course record. The actual course record is lower than that.
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Wed May 23, 2012 9:56 am

No 59 is the record, it was done a year or two ago during this tournament. the Guy that shot it blew up the next day and didn't win the tournament. The scorecard sits in the pro shop right at the front desk.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby JP » Wed May 23, 2012 10:52 am

Somebody better tell the guy that tweets for Cherry Blossom Golf then because he said that 62 was not the course record but it was the record in competition.
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Wed May 23, 2012 10:54 am

Georgetown, KY (May 21, 2010)…Former Valdosta State golfer Chris Erwin of Brentwood, Tennessee joined the prestigious “59” club during Friday’s second round of the NGA Hooters Tour’s ADI Classic at the par 72 6842 yard Cherry Blossom Golf and Country Club.

Erwin’s round started on the front nine Friday morning and he quickly went to work with birdies on holes 1 and 3 and he continued to find his groove with five straight birdies to close out his front nine with a seven-under par 29. On his back nine, the twenty-seven year old birdied holes 11, 13-15, 17 and 18 for a score of six-under par 30 and his spot in golf history. Throughout his bogey free round Friday, Erwin carded thirteen birdies and five pars.

“I birdied hole number 11 and then got three more on holes 13-15 and I knew in the back of my mind that I had just gotten to 11-under,” said Erwin. “After I birdied 17 I told my caddy I think I can birdie the last for a 59 and he said I was right.”

“I was never really nervous during my round until I was standing over my putt on the 18th hole and I knew the line so I made a confident putt at it and it went straight in for 59.”

Erwin opened the tournament with an even par 72 Thursday but with his round of “59”, he moved from a tie for 100th into a tie for first place at thirteen-under par 131.

“It’s funny how things work,” said Erwin after his round. “I woke up Wednesday night with a stomach virus and didn’t get any sleep and I felt like maybe withdrawing from the event on Thursday but stuck it out and shot a great 72 with no energy at all.”

The NGA/Hooters Tour is the 3rd largest men’s 72-hole professional golf tour in the country behind the PGA and Nationwide Tours, and boasts alumni like 2009 British Open Champion Stewart Cink, 2007 Masters Champion Zach Johnson, 2003 PGA Champion Shaun Micheel, 2003 British Open winner Ben Curtis, 2003 US Open winner Jim Furyk, two time U.S. Open winner Lee Janzen, British Open and PGA Champion John Daly, as well as British Open winner Tom Lehman, PGA Champion David Toms, 2003 Tour Championship Winner Chad Campbell, 2004 & 2005 Reno Tahoe Open winner Vaughn Taylor and TPC winner Craig Perks to name just a few. All told, the NGA/Hooters Tour’s alumni have an incredible 11 “Majors” to their credit. The NGA/Hooters Tour has helped more than 100 professionals acquire their PGA, Champions, and Nationwide Tour cards.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby JP » Wed May 23, 2012 11:10 am

Hopefully he will see that...
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby kygolf99 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:20 pm

JP, not that it matters but I started following them this year and loved getting the updates during the event. I don't recall every seeing where they tweeted anything about a course record, so I went back through all the tweets and no where could I find it...saw where he congratulated the guy on the round but no competitive record. Pretty sure the guy tweeting is the head pro and if so he has been there for all of the NGA Events so I am sure he would remember a 59 being shot.
kygolf99
Rookie Poster

Postby JP » Wed May 23, 2012 3:38 pm

I would think so if he is the pro. Maybe it was on the radio I heard it from. I heard an interview this weekend with someone from CB on the radio so perhaps I heard it rather than read it. In either case it doesn't really matter. I was stating what was wrongly being reported which made me also wrong. End of story. I was just trying to identify my sources as it were.
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby rocket68 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:17 pm

rocket68
Newbie Poster

Postby rocket68 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:27 pm

BTW- Roger Chapman who just won the Senior PGA played in the 2011 Cherry Blossom Classic on the Hooters Tour and finished in 51st place.

Very nice man that indicated that he liked the course and to Valhalla the next week. Tied for 27th there.
rocket68
Newbie Poster

Postby Docugs » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Played Cherry Blossom on Sat. I was surprised at how little play they had, I don't know if this was a bad day for some reason, but nobody was there. We got off at 10:20 and and was done in about three hours and twenty min. We litterally only saw 5 groups the whole day and most of those were members who had their own carts. If they got 60 rounds on the day I would be surprised.

As far as the course goes, it was in pretty good shape, they need rain just like everybody else. The fairways were in ok shape, and the rough was pretty good if you are closer to the fairway, if you get 10 yards wide so you will start to get into the burned out areas of the rough and you will begin to get lots of bare lies and hardpan. Greens were in good shape, they have been rolled and verticut, so they are firm and roll a little faster than most places right now. But they were only rolling a little over 9.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Next

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews