[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - People's Top 18: The Unveiling

People's Top 18: The Unveiling

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

People's Top 18: The Unveiling

Postby thurman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:13 am

We'll unveil the Top 18 over the next couple days, starting from the bottom of all courses rated. The number in parentheses is the average rating the course received.

First, three courses didn't receive enough votes to qualify: General Burnside, The Oaks at Flatwood, and The Willows at Courses of Kenton County.

37. Duckers Lake (1.97)
36. Weissinger Hills (2.39)
35. Golf Club of the Bluegrass (2.46)
34. Charlie Vettiner (2.48)
33. Seneca (2.73)
31 (tie). Eagle Creek, Griffin Gate (2.75)
30. Peninsula (2.79)
29. Kentucky Dam Village (2.88)
28. My Old Kentucky Home (2.98)
27. Boone Links (3.0)
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Re: People's Top 18: The Unveiling

Postby cesmal » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:55 am

This has been a very interesting wintertime exercise and I am anxious to see the rest of the results. I am retired and play a lot of golf. Ann & I also travel to play frequently. So it was surprising to me that I could only rate 22 of the 40 courses. I looked back over the list and found that there were actually only 8 courses that i have not played. There were another 10 that I have only played once or had not played recently enough (5 years) to rate, using our very specific factors. Hidden Cove was one of those and just based on my overall general memory and perception, i would easily put it in my top 3.

Surprising to me that Peninsula ended up near the bottom. Never played it, but I had wanted to make the trip sometime. I can scratch that off my list now. Of the others I have not played, it looks like these are the courses i need to make an effort to play: Stonecrest, Gibson Bay and GBJ at Picadome. Maybe Burnside if I get the opportunity.

Thanks for all the time and effort, Thurman.
cesmal
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:48 am

I think a newfound desire to play a lot of these courses is one thing this process has done for a lot of people, me included. I'm excited for March when Fox Run and Lassing Pointe reopen here in NKY. I figure I'll need to finally get down to the UK Club later in the Spring. And, like everyone else, I'm now ready to do an EKY trip and get to Stonecrest, Hidden Cove, and Eagle Ridge.

I'll post winners and losers in each category as we go through the week. I don't have the numbers in front of me right now, but I was also surprised about Peninsula's low ranking until I realized they were DFL (dead freakin' last) in conditioning. Because they've had issues for years in that department, and are so hard to get to, I think it's led to a lot of overall negative perceptions from people who have played there. I'm afraid the market correction after the golf boom of the late 90s will ultimately spell their demise.

I've never played it, but I kind of expected Seneca to get more love than it did. I didn't expect Griffin Gate to rate so poorly either. Once I rated it, though, I sort of realized that no matter how many times I've defended it in the past, I still don't really like the place. That was another thing I found as I voted: there are some courses I really don't like as much as I thought, and others that I like a lot more than I realized.
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby JP » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:22 pm

Yeah I agree, I need to get around to hitting NKY sometime this year to see some of those gems. Maybe I can schedule it at time to hook up with you thurman since you are in the area. It's been several years since we played a round together. Definitely you guys coming up for UK Club or GBJr need to let me know if you have room for one more. I definitely plan on hitting newly open to the masses Big Blue this year and of course I'm always game for a trip over to Richmond to fight the masses of golfers playing Gibson Bay. I'm semi retired in the summers so I'm pretty flexible. I have been fortunate enough to play Hidden Cove and Eagle Ridge 2 of the last 3 summers and I'm sure this year will make 3 of 4. Hopefully I'll be able to add Stonecrest and Eagle Trace this time around as I am among many who haven't made it to those venues. It is interesting that GG and Peninsula fall outside the top 25 but as neither are among my favorites it just feels like affirmation baby. As for Seneca, I really like it but many of those who have played it more often seem to think it's only OK or just the best of the munis kind of a course. I want to go back there this summer and try to tack on Heritage Hill while I'm at it. It's been a pretty tame winter but I'm chomping at the bit for true spring to arrive and the courss to start rounding back in to top shape!

Thanks again thurman for organizing this exercise. I haven't kept tabs on all of the courses but based on what we see revealed so far and what I remember in general of the voting I have a feeling the number one course is going to be the one in Louisa and I fully expect 2 of the top 3 to be from the eastern part of the state. I'm really curious to see where Old Silo ended up (probably lower than it would have 5 or 6 years ago) and of course my home course at Picadome.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Yeah I can't believe that Griffin Gate was that low.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby wilma » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:51 pm

This is the best stuff! I agree that if this excercise leads many to try these very sweet courses, it has been a superb addition to our website. In my last 3 years of golf, I almost never allowed my wish to play golf to get me to play a poor course because of convenience and money.

I am poor, and I saved money expressly for our 'daytrip' rounds at nice courses. We tried to play every course we had reason to believe would be special and reachable in a day. That, for us, meant we had to reach it in 4.5hrs or less, play it, and drive home that day. You would be surprised how far away a course could be an be a 'daytrip' course. Michigan(!), Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee were all reachable, to varying degrees. Virginia and North carolina were two-day adventures.

At Olde Beau I learned the fun and interest of uphill, as well as downhill, shot planning. I remember hitting an uphill shot to a pin 80yds away. The wind was against me and the angle was VERY steep. I hit a strong 7-iron that almost disappeared from site it was so high, and ended 10 ft away! I realized then that I loved uphill golf as much as downhill. I wish Forrest has left a little more uphill in ER, MOF. These kinds of shots are so much more difficult to understand than flat golf. The angles accentuate the effects of wind and weather too.

I played golf for fun. Score was of little import except if I had an extraordinary result, like a long hole out [never had an ace, sadly]. So my goals were always to play tracks that excite me.

That is what this rating excercise is worth, to me. Cataloging what courses got me excited about trying. Thanks for the idea Thurman.

Doug
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:04 am

As we go through the list, I'll also post the winners (top 9) and losers (bottom 5) in each category.

First up is aesthetics. The state park courses dominated this category. The top courses aesthetically are:

1. Hidden Cove (4.88)
2. Dale Hollow (4.8)
3. Eagle Ridge (4.75)
4. Mineral Mound (4.5)
5. Stonecrest (4.33)
6. Lafayette (4.29)
7. Old Silo (4.27)
8 (tie). Fox Run, Eagle Trace (4.0)

Meanwhile, at the bottom of the aesthetics list:

40. Duckers Lake (1.38, only course to receive any votes of 1 in this category)
39. Griffin Gate (2.11)
37 (tie). Weissinger Hills, Charlie Vettiner (2.14)
36. Rosewood (2.33)

At the top of the ambience category:

1. Eagle Ridge (4.75)
2. Dale Hollow (4.6)
3 (tie). Lafayette, Big Blue (4.14)
5 (tie). Stonecrest, Wildcat (4.0)
7. Old Silo (3.91)
8. Hidden Cove (3.88)
9. Wasioto Winds (3.80)

And the bottom five in ambience:

40. Duckers Lake (1.25)
39. Charlie Vettiner (1.71)
38. Weissinger Hills (2.0)
36 (tie). Golf Club of the Bluegrass, Seneca (2.17)
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby jf » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:37 am

jf
Veteran Poster

Postby thurman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:43 am

Rounding out the rest of the Not Quite Top 18:

26. Maywood (3.04)
24 (tie). Rosewood, Quail Chase (3.08)
23. Gay Brewer Jr. at Picadome (3.13)
22. Doe Valley (3.14)
21. Perry Park (3.18)
20. The Bull at Boone's Trace (3.19)
19. Nevel Meade (3.23)

There are only 18 courses left...
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby JP » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:12 am

Wow, mild surprise that the Bull missed out on Top 18. I've never played Nevel Meade but I'm also surprised they ranked ahead of the Bull. Maybe I need to play that one next time I'm in the area...
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby cesmal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:47 am

cesmal
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby James » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:57 am

James
Rookie Poster

Postby thurman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:36 am

The Bull is probably the biggest surprise so far, but as the Top 18 starts to be revealed, we'll see a lot more upsets. The ordering of the Top 18 is very different from the MoeRon list. A former number one fell well out of the top 10 along with three or four other perennial single-digit courses. There may not be much drama at the very top, but there will be several surprises on the way there (starting with 18 and 17, which I would expect to spark some fiery debate).

Returning to the category-by-category rankings, here are the top 9 best-conditioned courses in Kentucky.

1. Cherry Blossom (4.91, only one person gave it anything but a 5)
2. UK Club Big Blue (4.14)
3. UK Club Wildcat (4.10)
4 (tie). Hidden Cove, Eagle Ridge (4.0)
6 (tie). Gibson Bay, Houston Oaks, Mineral Mound (3.75)
9. Nevel Meade (3.71)

The bottom five in conditioning:

40. Peninsula (1.71)
39. Lafayette (1.86)
37 (tie). Eagle Creek, Charlie Vettiner (2.0)
36. Doe Valley (2.14)

The Top 9 in Use of Property:

1. Eagle Ridge (4.38)
2. Dale Hollow (4.3)
3. Lassing Pointe (4.14)
4 (tie). Wasioto Winds, Old Silo (4.0)
6 (tie). Gibson Bay, Hidden Cove (3.88)
8. Fox Run (3.8)
9 (tie). Lafayette, UK Club Big Blue (3.71)

And the bottom 5 in Use of Property:

40. Duckers Lake (2.0)
39. Weissinger Hills (2.57) (Note: General Burnside scored a 2.5 in this category but did not receive enough votes to officially qualify)
38. Eagle Creek (2.6)
36 (tie). Golf Club of the Bluegrass, Rosewood (2.67)
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:59 am

I must be the person that didn't give Cherry Blossom a 5 on conditioning, Oh well, I don't think I gave a five in any category more than 2 or 3 times period.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby A-Dub » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Come with the ratings man! I'm ready to argue!
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Next

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews