People's Top 18: UK Club Wildcat

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Re: People's Top 18: UK Club Wildcat

Postby JP » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:22 am

beebs: Isn't #16 that gorgeous par 4 where the tee shot is kinda through the two trees on either side of the fairway and has the pond along the right side which, I think, forces longer hitters to consider whether or not to go with driver. If you hit it high, you can go over the trees but visually it looks like a very narrow tee shot. If it is, I love that hole. Why do you say they ran out of room? #11 is more like that as far as I'm concerned. Or am I thinking of the wrong hole #?
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby beebs4201 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:14 pm

You are thinking of the right hole. I personally hate that hole. It is an extremely narrow landing area if you hit driver and if you don't hit driver you have a long way to the hole with the lake looming on the right side. It just seems to me they ran out of room and had to make the hole extremely tight. I don't care for 11, 13, or 15 either. I love the front 9 at the wilcat course though.
beebs4201
Veteran Poster

Postby JP » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:16 pm

OK, thanks for clarifying.

I will have to agree to disagree with you on this point. I think #16 is one of the best par 4s around and is a great test of golf because you do have to think about that tee shot. Even I often play a 3 wood but I been playing with someone and watched them pull out driver and pay for their risk by dropping it in the drink. Of course I think if you go down the left side you can fly over that tree and land on the left side of the fairway or left rough. Of course that puts you aiming toward the water with your approach. I just think its a really cool hole.There is risk on both shots! I would be curious to know what others who have played the course think of that one. a) run out of room hole b) great c) neither. If anyone bothers to answer please explain.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby rocket68 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Aesthetics – 2
Ambience – 3
Conditioning – 3
Use of property – 3
Risk/reward – 3
Test of the full game – 3
Design variation – 3
Memorability –3
rocket68
Newbie Poster

Postby Docugs » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:47 pm

I actually like 16, and believe it is the number one handicap on that course, It is the best hole on the back for sure, and it actually requires you to make good decisions. That whole 9 feels cramped because when the original courses were built, Danny didn't own this property, and he was able to buy that land at a later date. If he could have convinced the owner to sell him some more land I am sure he would have.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby Docugs » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Aesthetics-3
Ambience-3
Conditioning- 4 Jeff generally does a very good job with conditioning, the guy keeps up two courses with one crew and a budget that is smaller than what some privates spend for one course. They have also rebuilt all the tee boxes on 7 this fall.

Use of property-3 I think they used every inch of property that they can on this course. There has been new tee boxes added on 5, so that they will have something to use when the creek floods out the main box.

Risk Reward-4 Fun little course for hitting all kinds of shots, you can hit just about everything in the bag. If you miss you will pay for it. you can try to drive the green on 11, 13 just to name a few, and if you miss it will cost you some strokes, there are some little gamble areas on the front as well.

test of full came- 4 Again it is possible to hit everything in the bag on this course.

Design variation- 4 plenty of different holes,long short,etc. There have been a couple of trees removed on 7 now so if you hit it to the right side of the fairway, you have a small alley if you want to take the risk to hit a longer club on your second shot instead of hitting a high lofted club just to get over the trees.

Memorability-3

I have been a member here for several years, and I think that it is a fun course that does well to give you something different to play from time to time. If you make it past the first 4 holes without too much damage then you can put up a really good score. It is a solid course, but it isn't nearly as good as big blue is.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 am

wilma wrote:
Docugs wrote:Wilma what tees do you play on both courses.

Docugs;

If I hit a good solid straight drive I pounded it out there around 170 yds. So the front tees were my range, except on short par-3's or others where something good was lost by playing from the front [you could not DRAG me off the back tees at ER #13, obviously]. Since I did not worry about competition or score, I chose for enjoyment.

Many of my reviews mention that course architects often do not plan well for front tees, and especially on older courses just did not have features in play for us. I tended to rate those down. Perspective. In fact, Kearney is a good example. Stand on the fronts there and see what you would lose, even as a short hitter like me. OTOH, the Signature Trail seemed to have mostly had archies who thought of this.

Doug

Thread jack alert!

Doug, you've said this before with regards to Kearney. I always found it interesting since Alice Dye was so instrumental in making forward tees an architectural consideration and Pete Dye has a reputation for designing courses that play well from all teeing grounds. I suspect that PB probably did more than Pete with Kearney, but still would've expected him to follow Alice's recommendations.

Your comments, though, align with those of my mother. She's an above-average ballstriker who drives it about the same distance and hates Kearney, finding it uninteresting. Could you discuss what's lost from the front tees at Kearney and/or Big Blue as opposed to Wildcat? As a longer hitter who really likes Kearney, I'd like a better perspective of why it's weak from the forward tees, and maybe some other guys would find it valuable as well.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:32 pm

I kinda curious to know what isn't in play on big Blue too, The only thing I can think of that might not be in play on blue from either the 1 or 2 tee's would possibly be the fairway bunker on 13, but that really doesn't come into play much for any tee except the 5's. Every other hole the water comes in to play for each set of tee's , even the bunkers on 9 are in play just from a little better angle for somebody trying to drive the green.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Previous

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews