[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - People's Top 18: Eagle Ridge

People's Top 18: Eagle Ridge

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

People's Top 18: Eagle Ridge

Postby thurman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Group 2 of the GKL People's Top 18 goes off today. Here's your chance to determine the best courses in the state! Next up...

Fore please, Eagle Ridge golf course in Louisa, KY.

If you've played it, you can rate it. Please use the following categories and rate on a scale of 1-5, as below (it's a tough scale, 3 is a pretty good score):

1 - Poor
2 - Okay
3 - Solid
4 - Very good
5 - Superb

Aesthetics – Is it scenic? Does the course “fit” its natural surroundings? Are the views unobstructed? Points off here for homes or buildings or power lines encroaching on the course, or other eyesores.

Ambience – Does the course feel “special”? Is it quiet? Is it a friendly, pleasant, or unique place to play in terms of atmosphere? Does it have intangibles that make you want to return? Points off here for loud highways, crappy customer service, pissy locals, and other things that negatively impact a course’s atmosphere.

Conditioning – Are the greens smooth? Do they run at the right speed? Are the fairways full? Does it play fast? Are the bunkers maintained? Points off here for slow or bumpy greens, dead spots in fairways, neglect, and unplayable bunkers.

Use of property – Does the course use its land well? Do natural slopes provide interest on shots? Are the course’s natural features used (water, trees, terrain, etc)? Does it drain well? Points off here for holes that ran out of room, constant drainage issues, unplayable slopes, wasted or misplaced features.

Risk/reward – Does the course give you opportunities to take a risk for some potential gain over the player who doesn’t take the same risk? Does the course extract a penalty if you fail? Does it make you want to hit dangerous shots? Points off here for forced conservative plays, cakewalk short par 4s and 5s with little danger.

Test of the full game – Can different types of players be successful? Does the course reward accuracy as much as it rewards distance? Is touch around greens as important as hitting strong full shots? Is putting as important as driving? Points off here for courses over-reliant on length, holes that don’t give short hitters a chance to put the ball in play, courses with interest tee to green but flat dull greens, etc.

Design variation – Is there a good mixture of short, medium, and long par 4s? Are the par 5s unique? Do you hit different clubs on the par 3s? Are there uphill and downhill holes? Are there doglegs left and right? Are different challenges present from one hole to the next? Points off here for repetitive shots, a ton of 380 yard par 4s, etc (note: It’s okay for a course to be cohesive. It’s ok if a course is “old school,” “wooded,” or “links style.” It just needs to present unique challenges throughout).

Memorability – Pretty simple: Do you remember it after you play it? Are there shots you replay in your head and think about before your next round? Do holes stand out for the right reasons? Points off here for forgettable holes or memorably bad holes.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Re: People's Top 18: Eagle Ridge

Postby Docugs » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:18 pm

wish I could rate this one, but it happens to be the only one of the big 4 I haven't been down to play.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby kygolf99 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:31 pm

4,4,3,5,4,4,4,5=33

Here's the thing about this course, it rates Awesome in my book but is it a golf course I would go back and play on a daily basis? Heck no, its a course I think everybody should play at least once but many wont go back due to the degree of difficulty and the types of shots it demands.
kygolf99
Rookie Poster

Postby foreleft » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Aesthetics - 5 Just awesome

Ambience - 5 God's country

Conditioning - 5 Only played it twice and both times it was superb

Use of property - 4 LOL, you would think it would be a 5 because of the incredible use of unusable land. Ran out of room on #10. Short and boring. Nine is not a whole lot better

Risk/Reward - 4 Lots of risk, some forced conservative plays in my mind. Lots of penalty if you fail. Does have two short par 4's. Like the last, it is close to a 5.

Test of the full game - 5 NO BRAINER here. It is a great test of golf. And nerve.

Design Variation - 5. Can't rave enough about the design and the different shots you have to hit here

Memorability - 5++++++ I have never seen anything like it

They way you have the scoring set up, this course should score very high. I have believed since the first time I have played it that it is the best public in the state. Only problem I see is that some people will hate this course with a passion. If you play army golf then you better pack climbing gear or a butt load of balls. I will admit that I am partial to this course. Like I said the two times I played it, it was in perfect condition. #6 and #16 are my favorite two holes on the course. #9, 10, and 18 are my least favorites. My mouth was wide open for days after playing this course the first time. We played Old Silo, Hidden Cove, and Eagle Ridge and all we could talk about was ER. Would love to find a public better in this state.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby JP » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:25 pm

Aesthetics - 5 Spectacular

Ambience - 5 Wow, wow , wow! The design makes it so it feels like your group is the only one on the course.

Conditioning - 4 Two trips and excellent shape both times a few very minor blemishes make it a 4 but I couldn't argue with someone calling it a 5.

Use of property - 5. The imagination it took to place a course in this setting and then to pull it off the way that they did. Unbelievable.

Risk/Reward - 5 Really begins with the first tee shot and then...of course...there is #13.

Test of the full game - 5 Can't think of a play you don't have to make. Distance control, accuracy, thinking your way around the course, club choice, short game it's all there. And then some.

Design Variation - 5. I suppose 6 and 16 are similar but there are subtle differences. Otherwise I don't remember any repetition.

Memorability - 5 The only course I've ever played that is as memorable is Tobacco Road which is a course of considerable renown. There is nothing else like it in the state.

Wow! Almost a perfect score and I had no intention of ranking it so highly. I rated each category independent of the others. Well I guess it really is pretty awesome
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby LordofthePings » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:44 am

DNP. I really need to make a swing through EKY.
LordofthePings
Veteran Poster

Postby wilma » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:07 am

125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby moe » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:57 am

4,5,3,4,3,5,4,5 = 33

I rated it tough because both Art and I are still embarresed about the original suicide cart paths.
I remember lots of risks but few rewards.
I remember the poor conditions.

Having said all that, it is still is my highest ranking so far. :roll:
I intend a revisit in 2012.

moe
Art Hills # 1 fan
moe
Pro Poster

Postby stammalammy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:55 am

"You can't believe all the quotes you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
stammalammy
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:00 pm

It seems like several of you rated Eagle Ridge higher than you wanted/expected to. Is there a place where it fails that isn't accounted for by our scoring system? Or do you think it's rating fairly and just is a better course than you had anticipated?
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby JP » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Well, I love ER and I figured it would rate highly but...I actually prefer Hidden Cove if you ask me what my favorite state park course is. I also thought I liked Dale Hollow better but after working through the evaluation of both I guess I don't. I just didn't really think I would give any course a score of 39 when we started. I think the criteria are spot on and I evaluated as honestly as I could. Maybe I just have lower standards as my ratings have tended to be higher than others. I guess in this case there are several others who highly rate this course as well.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:01 pm

5's across except for use of property I give a 4.

It's an awesome course, that I always gave a hard time due to the remoteness of the course and the utter un-walkability....if that is a word. I think those have to be the only qualms with the course, just the difficulty to get to it and that there absolutely no opportunity to walk. The 4 on use of property does come from the fact they may have run out of room here or there, like 9 and 10. Also the fact that they did not return to the clubhouse. It is odd, but the course is probably better for it. I think the negatives of the course are not measurable from a golf standpoint, unless you are an absolute purist who believes a course has to be walkable.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:31 pm

I think a course should be walkable, and I've factored that in under ambience in a few previous ratings. The game is much more satisfying for me when I'm walking, and I get a lot more out of the round and out of the course. I would've liked to have a category for routing that factored walkability in, but I realize it means a lot more to me than it does to many other people.
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:28 pm

I kind of agree. I know I always used to give Ron a hard time about Old Silo because it was not set up for walkers. I love to walk and still think it is the best way to enjoy a round of golf. But this course is different and gets a pass from me. Old Silo could have been routed to better suit walking. Don't think they could have done much at ER to improve the walkability. I know one time I played it, it was cart path only and that was enough walking to me. Just walking up to all the tee boxes is pretty good excersise. I do feel you should be able to walk a golf course. It may take you about six hours to walk ER.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby cesmal » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:03 am

5,4,4,4,4,3,3,3 - 30

Very unique course, in excellent condition when i played it. They obiously made good use of the property they had to work with, but i think a little more acreage was needed. Only 3 par 5's. The hole designs may not have actually repeated, but it seemed that way after I had finished. Only really remebered #13. Other holes just kind of ran together in my mind. Need to go back, but I still prefer Dale hollow.
cesmal
Semi-Pro Poster

Next

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews