People's Top 18: Dale Hollow

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

People's Top 18: Dale Hollow

Postby thurman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:13 am

It's finally time to start voting on the GKL People's Top 18! Here's your chance to help determine the best 18 public courses in the state. I'm putting group 1 up for voting starting today. Next up...

Fore please, Dale Hollow golf course in Burkesville, KY.

If you've played it, you can rate it. Please use the following categories and rate on a scale of 1-5, as below (it's a tough scale, 3 is a pretty good score):

1 - Poor
2 - Okay
3 - Solid
4 - Very good
5 - Superb

Aesthetics – Is it scenic? Does the course “fit” its natural surroundings? Are the views unobstructed? Points off here for homes or buildings or power lines encroaching on the course, or other eyesores.

Ambience – Does the course feel “special”? Is it quiet? Is it a friendly, pleasant, or unique place to play in terms of atmosphere? Does it have intangibles that make you want to return? Points off here for loud highways, crappy customer service, pissy locals, and other things that negatively impact a course’s atmosphere.

Conditioning – Are the greens smooth? Do they run at the right speed? Are the fairways full? Does it play fast? Are the bunkers maintained? Points off here for slow or bumpy greens, dead spots in fairways, neglect, and unplayable bunkers.

Use of property – Does the course use its land well? Do natural slopes provide interest on shots? Are the course’s natural features used (water, trees, terrain, etc)? Does it drain well? Points off here for holes that ran out of room, constant drainage issues, unplayable slopes, wasted or misplaced features.

Risk/reward – Does the course give you opportunities to take a risk for some potential gain over the player who doesn’t take the same risk? Does the course extract a penalty if you fail? Does it make you want to hit dangerous shots? Points off here for forced conservative plays, cakewalk short par 4s and 5s with little danger.

Test of the full game – Can different types of players be successful? Does the course reward accuracy as much as it rewards distance? Is touch around greens as important as hitting strong full shots? Is putting as important as driving? Points off here for courses over-reliant on length, holes that don’t give short hitters a chance to put the ball in play, courses with interest tee to green but flat dull greens, etc.

Design variation – Is there a good mixture of short, medium, and long par 4s? Are the par 5s unique? Do you hit different clubs on the par 3s? Are there uphill and downhill holes? Are there doglegs left and right? Are different challenges present from one hole to the next? Points off here for repetitive shots, a ton of 380 yard par 4s, etc (note: It’s okay for a course to be cohesive. It’s ok if a course is “old school,” “wooded,” or “links style.” It just needs to present unique challenges throughout).

Memorability – Pretty simple: Do you remember it after you play it? Are there shots you replay in your head and think about before your next round? Do holes stand out for the right reasons? Points off here for forgettable holes or memorably bad holes.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Re: People's Top 18: Dale Hollow

Postby LordofthePings » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:58 am

OK, I'll be the guinea pig. Not sure how to vote, if a total score is wanted (32), an average category score (4.00), or individual scores of categories. I guess it depends on if you want to be able to rank the individual categories as well as the overall score. My scores for this course may seem high, but then again, I think this is a top 5 or so course in the state, so they should be high.

Asthetics - 5. Beautiful scenery.
Ambience - 5. Certainly worth the out of the way drive.
Conditioning - 3. Given the definitions of the categories, I waffled between OK (2) and solid (3). Greens and fairways are generally very nice, traps and rough can be suspect at times.
Use of property - 4. Not a course architect, and it's hard to go wrong given the splendid land and surroundings available, but seems to be well laid out to me.
Risk/Reward - 3. Waffled again between OK and solid. #2 gives the option of going for the green in 2, but the risk is really not worth the reward. #14 (cut off a bunch of water, at risk of cutting off too much or pulling it a little and driving through the fairway into the woods), #17 (driver for the green/short chip, or iron/hybrid for short iron). I feel the risk is not worth the reward for any of these, but then again, I seem to always choose the risky shot on #14 and #17. Ok, I just upped from 2 to 3.
Test of the full game - 3 solid, but a couple of the par 3's over the gullies can be tough for a short knocking low handicapper from the back tees. #15 would be hard to get a hybrid/wood to hold the green if someone had to use it. On the flip side, there are a generous number of tees to allow for players of all handicaps to choose from.
Design variation - 4 - Uphill, downhill, side hill, around rock walls, over gorges, over water. Plenty for my taste.
Memorability - 5 - I don't think the first and last category need any elaboration, really.
LordofthePings
Veteran Poster

Postby Docugs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:18 pm

aesthetics- 4 Ambience-4 conditioning-2.5 Uses of property-4 test of full game -3 design variation- 3 Memorability-3

As far as conditioning goes I mark down for slow greens, and the bunkers get really marked low for the huge rocks that are in them, rough can be hit or miss but you get marked down for clover. I spit the difference between 2 and 3 but If I have to choose then 2

*Edit - removed the huge quote
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby JP » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Asthetics - 5. Incredibly scenic but it should be since it's a state park located around beautiful rolling terrain.

Ambience - 5. So quiet and serene. This place puts a smile on your face from the first tee.

Conditioning - 4. I've only played here twice but the course was in very good shape both times.

Use of property -5. Not sure how much better this course could be laid out. The par 3s in particular make good use of difficult terrain. Well done.

Risk/Reward - 3. I think Lord of the Pings (love that name) stated things pretty well.

Test of the full game -4. The par 3's are the best set I've ever played and from the proper tees are difficult but the carries are manageable. The use of water on 10 and 14 are excellent for different reasons. 10 to protect the green and 14 to add to the risk/reward factor. Elevation changes make the course difficult even though it's not overly long.

Design variation - 4 - Excellent variety as Lord of the Pings mentions. I would add that while some feel the edges are too penal due to the general thinness of the rough on certain holes I find the general width of the fairways is generous enough that it's not much of an issue. In 2 trips I've never seen anyone lose one over the edge though I'm sure that it happens.

Memorability - 5 - While I can't remember every single hole (too many brain cells gone) I remember most of them. The property is simply gorgeous and I remember enough compared to the amount of rounds I've played there to rate this one a five.

Total score is 35.
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby stammalammy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:31 pm

DNP
"You can't believe all the quotes you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln
stammalammy
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby A-Dub » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:23 pm

Stamm, we gotta get you out of Lexington if you are going to run the site buddy. :P

It's been a couple years since I played the course, but I think I remember it pretty well, so I will weigh in, but take the easy way out on conditioning b/c that is the main thing I can't really comment on currently.

Aesthetics- 5 Scenic for sure. Most state parks courses will be 4 or 5
Ambience- 5 Out of the way and you are where you are supposed. Definitely a good one here.
Conditioning 3.5?- It was great at my visit, probably a 4. I hear it has gone down a bit maybe. Hard to give an accurate due to time since I played it. Bailout vote.
Use of property- 4 They didn't squeeze it in, but I remember seeing some things that I thought could have been done differently.
Risk/Reward- 3 See below
Test full game- 4 Yes please.
Design variation- 4 Don't remember thinking one hole was really like the other. Penalty throughout is pretty similar, but course moves well.
Memorability- 4 Being that it has been a couple years and I remember it pretty well bodes well for it. It's not up there with the Valhalla's and Eagle Ridge's, but quite good. Very few get a 5 from me.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:37 am

aesthetics-5 Ambience-5 conditioning-2 Uses of property-4 risk/reward-3 test of full game-3 design variation-3 Memorability-4

Played it twice now. Beautiful area. Course not my cup of tea, but it is a very good design. With the bunkers and the rough areas off the fairways it was lucky to get a 2 from me. Greens were not that good either time.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby wilma » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:38 am

aesthetics: 5 Beautiful course in lovely setting

ambience: 5 Who wouldn't wanna be here? Speaks golf and fishing.

conditioning: 4 I have played even in dead Winter and found greens and fairways great. Bunker wet sometimes.

Use of prop: 5 Easy one for architect, this property begs for a course. Many other different holes could have been.

risk/reward: 3 I hit way too short to reach 5-in-2 or 4-in-1. I risk ball at chasm #15 for using longer tee. Who wouldn't?

test/game: 4 I use most all clubs on this course. I have no 'game'.

Design variation: 5 Variation is length, elevation change [up and down!], green complexes, space, and trees or other impediments.

memorability: 5 Not just #12-#15, a fantastic stretch, but thank you Bruce and great trip. Wish I could go.
125yd hole out for Eagle at #7, Stonelick Hills, with a 9-iron. 6/13/06. 115yd Hole out for Eagle on #9, Stonelick Hills. 10/22/08.
wilma
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:21 am

Aesthetics - 5. It's just hard to find fault with this one.

Ambience - 4. I'm probably hard to please in this category, but I found the customer service a little lacking last time I was there. I also think the fact that it's just about impossible to walk the course disconnects it a bit from the purest and quietest form of the game. There's something a little more intangibly pleasant about the atmosphere at a course with some walkers than at a course where everyone's riding.

Conditioning - 2. It's the one blight on an otherwise outstanding course. Bunkers have been under repair for about 2 years now based on others' accounts, and their rough situation is a real problem for playability.

Use of property - 5. There's just too much going on out there not to give it some real credit in this category: Par 3s with tees at 90 degree angles to one another, the brilliant use of the lake on 14, the boldness of some of the uphill routed holes. I quietly wish the course were less spread out, but you have to give them a ton of credit for taking advantage of the slopes and terrain and routing OVER the difficult terrain instead of having the roughest parts of the property relegated to being between holes.

Risk/Reward - 4. 14 and 17 are risk/reward clinics. 4 is also great, with the centerline bunker challenging the approach for anyone going after the green in two. The par 4s are a little more lacking in this category - it's a driving course that requires you to hit the ball straight but doesn't give many options for bold carries or aggressive plays that potentially fail.

Test of the full game - 4. A couple of tough forced carries and the extreme uphill home hole probably give a pronounced advantage to longer hitters, but it deserves some credit for having one of the best sets of greens in the state.

Design variation - 3. I remember thinking there were a lot of short par 4s, and also found the second par 3 on each side to be very similar. This would be a 2 but they did a nice job of routing in some uphill holes to go with the spectacular downhill ones, which I'm a sucker for.

Memorability - 4. Having not played it in a few years, I certainly don't remember every hole. That puts it behind many places I play in this category, but it also doesn't have anything remotely resembling a memorably bad hole and it has several memorably good, or at least completely unique ones. The 3rd is the only drop-shot par 3 I've ever seen played with a long iron, 4 and 14 are tremendous par 5s, and 17 and 18 are a unique couple of closing holes.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby moe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:30 pm

total 33

They have no rough here. You can't grow grass in rocks!

I like this one a lot, so I must be a tough grader,
or perhaps I've just played in Michigan, Colorado, and North Carolina too much.

moe
Last edited by moe on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art Hills # 1 fan
moe
Pro Poster

Postby cesmal » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:13 am

5,5,4,4,3,4,4,5 - 34

Love this course, especially the elevated tees and the fact that each hole, except for a couple, is totally framed within its own piece of property. Designed on a grand scale, with plenty of property to work with. Only hole i don't really like is #11. #12 and 14 are two of my favorite tee shots anywhere. Love the wild turkeys walking around the property. Special and memorable.
cesmal
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby Docugs » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:39 am

bump
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby DVgolfa » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:04 pm

Aesthetics - 5 - Beautiful golf course.

Ambience - 4

Conditioning - 2