Wild Turkey Trace

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Wild Turkey Trace

Postby PRPcoach » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:31 am

My golf team (PRP) is scheduled to play an event there in August. I have not played there since I was a kid (mid 80's) when it was still Bob O' Link. Anybody know anything about it? has it changed? Conditions?
thanks
Frank Beard "I tried to catch you last week Dave but you were too good"
Dave Hill "Beard, you couldn't beat me with a hammer!"
PRPcoach
Rookie Poster

Re: Wild Turkey Trace

Postby thurman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:47 pm

I was there maybe three years ago and spent quite a bit of time there as a kid. It's still pretty much the same course. Pretty short by today's standards and narrow in a few spots. It has a handful of cool holes as far as budget-priced daily fee courses go and probably has a bit more water in play than most. I think the design compares favorably to places like Weissinger or Tates Creek although it's not nearly as good a property as those two courses.

They reseeded to bermuda a few years ago and have been under new ownership. My impression when I was last there was that they were really trying to run the place correctly, but I'm not sure what ever came of it. Everything was still growing in last time I was out that way.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby BigVMan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:47 pm

This is my home course and I am out there often. The course has undergone quite a few positive changes over the past 3-4 years in conjunction with the new(er) owner. New bridges, work on drainage issues, bunker work, burmuda fairways, completely re-did the lakes on the back nine, better maintance of the course, the list goes on. Not the same course you played in the 80's, it's much better than that now, and much better than it was just a few years ago. Of course, with all the rain and wet weather we have had the past few weeks, it's been hard to get out and play and it's been tough to do much with the course, but they are out there working on it as soon as weather permits. For a while the greens out there last summer where in the best shape of any course I played, but they finally sucumbed to the heat and harsh conditions later in the summer. When they let the rough grow a little and cut the greens atleast to medium speed, it can offer a chalange especially with the small green complexes, some offering some subtle curves, undulations and breaks. But when the rough is down and they let the geens grow and get real slow, it can be overpowerd, especially on the front nine where it just doesn't have a lot to protect the holes. The back 9 is a good 4-5 strokes harder and offers more in the way of hazards working to protect the holes and make it more of a chalange, and holes 14 and 16-18 can easily ruin a good score up to that point As stated above, it kind of resembles Weissinger Hills in it's straight forward, simlpe layout, but personally I think it's tougher that Weissinger.
BigVMan
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby BSS » Sun May 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Played out there for the first time in probably 4 years. Last time I was there they were working on the improvements BigVMan mentioned in his 2011 post. I can tell they did some work but its still just an OK course. It seems like there are a lot of residents of the neighboring houses that come out to play and decide to join other groups, what I don't like about it is they tend to drive across/along side fairways while you are getting ready to play shots. There are also groups with more than 4 players(which I don't care about as long as they are moving along or letting people play through)....like today there was one group with 5 carts. I clearly remember seeing groups like that the last time I was out there as well. So I can only guess that it's common. Here's what I thought about the course itself:

Tees: They are fair.
Fairways: I can tell they put Bermuda on them but they aren't very good right now.....maybe they will fill in here in a couple months but that's the problem I have with Bermuda in Kentucky. There's still a lot of really thin areas.
Bunkers: Were in pretty decent shape
Rough: It was what it should be. Green and thick but mowed to a height that you could find your ball.
Greens: They had to be the SLOWEST greens I have ever been on. I seriously think I've been on fairways that were faster than those greens. It was like Velcro. Seemed to have a lot of Poa in them. On the good side they weren't hard as a rock like they use to be.

It's a decent course to go knock it around on.
BSS
Pro Poster

Postby BigVMan » Wed May 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Not making excuses, but, it seems to me for some reason the cooler weather has had more of an affect on the Bermuda fairways there than at other Bermuda courses. I played Lincoln Homestead again last Sunday and their Bermuda seems to have come in much better so far than at Wild Turkey. We did have some very chilly nights a couple of weeks ago with frost advisories, so maybe it got colder there in Lawrenceburg and stunted the Bermuda some. It's starting to look a little better but still not where it should or hopefully will be.

As for the 5somes...yeah, that can be a problem there, and one of the biggest complaints I have about the place is they don't have anyone on the course, Ranger or whatnot, watching for that stuff. It's usually not too bad during peak golf season time, but early in the spring and later in the fall you can see more of it, and sometimes even 6 or 7 playing together. I don't care if the course is clear and it's not holding up anybody, but when you have other customers out there on the course they need to put a stop to it.
BigVMan
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby BSS » Wed May 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Not that image is everything, but when I see 5 carts in one group early on a Sunday afternoon I immediately loose a little respect for the course...........but I sorta expect that out of WWT. But if a first time customer of the course noticed that I think they would be totally turned off. It's the same thing for the people driving all over the place looking for their friends to group up with.
BSS
Pro Poster

Postby thurman » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:29 pm

I played it today. My mother moved to Lawrenceburg a couple years ago and joined as a member there this year, and my uncle did the same even though he lives in Georgetown. Even for an average course kept in hit-or-miss condition, their membership deal is way too good to pass on if you live locally. I think they each gave under $200 for the whole year.

I always love playing Wild Turkey Trace (and I still call it Bob O'Link) since I grew up on the course. I just have a ton of memories out there: first hit flagstick on an approach at 1, first sand save on 9, almost getting hit by lightning walking up the treeline between 10 and 9, swallowing a fly as a five year old on 14 tee, stuffing an approach on 18 to set up my second ever round below 80. And I still believe that it's a really fun, really sporty course with some very cool holes.

Conditions were rough on this visit. The Bermuda is just starting to green up and right now it's a little thin and patchy. Tees were long and shaggy, and the greens were on the slow side but rolled true. The clientele was the typical combination of local gamers, half of whom I feel like I recognize from 20 years ago, and local hillbillies playing in fivesomes at a six hour pace. We were behind a fivesome on 8 tee and watched as each guy in the group hit about six balls without a single one of them hitting the green in their 30 combined shots. We played 8 and then skipped to 11 to get back into the open, before coming back to make up the last two holes later. There's a lot of skipping around out there and a lot of guys who ride up to join others in a group, so it seems like the guys playing in front of and behind you changes every few holes.

I think they've added internal OB at 14 since I was there last. It seems to me like a better solution would be to move the green to the other side of the creek, but that's also a much more expensive way to address the issue. It's probably necessary to protect players on 15 tee, but it makes the margin of error too slim to make going for the green in two a realistic option. That's a shame, as I really like that hole as a gambling par 5 with some secretly awesome terrain and a cool reverse-camber fairway keeping things interesting.
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Mon May 09, 2016 12:44 pm

I played 18 with my uncle before the Derby on Saturday. Basically in the same shape that it was a couple weeks ago, but the Bermuda has come a little further along. Still a little rough around the edges, but playable.

I cleaned up on the par 5s with an eagle at 6 and a birdie at 10, and then striped one down the fairway at 14 where I realized they had taken out the internal OB I complained about two weeks ago. With the stakes gone, I took a rip at it in two with a 4 iron and put it pin-high maybe 30 feet from the flag, but on a downslope just off the green. I hit the pitch thin across the creek and walked away with bogey. It was that sort of day really - just a little off with my iron play left me with a lot of short sided pitch shots from where I couldn't get the ball close enough to get up and down, and while my only truly bad pitch came at 14, I wasn't sharp enough to save many pars either. You really need to take care of business on the par 5s (all of which are reachable) and the easier holes that open each side. Holes like 4, 5, 7, 9, 12, and 16-18 are hard to steal birdies from, so you can't dig yourself a hole on 1-3, 6, 8, and 10-11. Those holes offer some scoring opportunities, but there's also disaster lurking on almost all of them for wayward shots.
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews