Kenny Perry's Country Creek

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Re: Kenny Perry's Country Creek

Postby smashdn » Tue May 10, 2016 8:59 am

They don't have ladies tees anymore really. They have blues, whites, and they combine golds and red at the same location.

Quite the dis-service to ladies. My wife plays. I usually play from the blues and the reds/golds are typically only 30 yards different in application. She drives it about 180 on a really good day.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby smashdn » Fri May 13, 2016 12:17 pm

We got almost 4" of rain here the other day. Creek was way up over the flat bridge at the creek. I have not heard but I would imagine that the bottom holes, 12 and 13 were underwater for a little while.

The good news is they were likely not under long and it rained again some after the creek should have been back in its banks so any mud on the grass should have got rinsed off.

We were in a drought so the water came and went pretty fast.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby smashdn » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:45 am

Got out on the front nine yesterday with two guys from work. Course is in really good condition (due to an arse-load of rain recently) but the greens are not in great condition as a whole.

Supposedly they had some disease or fungus problems last year that they are still recovering from. The practice green is sketchy and is indicative of the condition of about half the greens on the front. All are puttable but the green on 5 was probably in the worst shape as it is surrounded by large trees and I am sure is not getting the air and sun it needs to fill in.

On the other hand greens on 7-8-9 are in pretty good shape but are out in full sun and have good air circulation.

Twilight rate was 24 with a cart. Nine is 20 w/ a cart. Couldn't get them talked into walking the front nine despite it being (imo) very walkable.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby smashdn » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:42 am

Stopped in yesterday during lunch and chatted in the pro-shop about the greens and some other stuff.

Last week they round-uped the practice green and re-seeded. It was closed but looked very good and was already mostly filled in.

I was able to read the report from the USGA greens section from where an agronomist made a visit earlier in the month. No disease or fungus problems they just have some weak turf from not getting oxygen down into the rootzone. They are going to core aerate this week and then again in April of next year. The recommendation was to also solid tine aerate every month in summer and lightly topdress with sand. That practice should help firm up what are traditionally very soft greens. May have to wait a few years to really notice though. If we have a mild winter perhaps more filling in could occur.

Additionally they recommended raising hoc to .180. That will slow them obviously but they are in survival and regrow mode now.

I was honestly surprised that he didn't recommend blowing them up and rebuilding.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby smashdn » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:25 am

Rolled out there the other day to check things out and hit some balls on the range. The greens have really, really, improved. What I saw (1, 2, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, practice) all look as good as they have ever looked. Hopefully a mild spring with continued good growing weather and temps will conspire to have the turf very healthy going into the summer. I do not think they have opened the practice green up as of yet.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Postby smashdn » Fri May 26, 2017 12:45 pm

Walked the front nine yesterday. Greens were very smooth and putted well. Decent speed as well, maybe 9+. Decent for there anyway. There are still a few spots out along the very margins of the green that have that dark colored algae looking stuff and are a little patchy. There was one spot that was repaired with sod but it was already melded into the rest of the green. You can still see the dark spots from aerating but they don't affect putting.

Zoysia fairways were a tad long but it has been super wet around here. Probably got cut today as they closed the range down at 4:30 yesterday to pick it clean.

They have done some work on a few bunkers as well. The one at three has been completely redone and has a THICK layer of fresh sand in it. I had a plugged lie in it yesterday. Bunkers on two look to have been redone perhaps last year. I got to play from the one nearest to the green and it was in great shape.

Little windy but great temps for golf and for walking at that.
smashdn
Pro Poster

Previous

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews