[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - Persimmon Ridge

Persimmon Ridge

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Persimmon Ridge

Postby moe » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:32 pm

I didn't get to play with the "big boys" (as in big hitters) Thursday, so I called the "old guys.
I got to play in the old guys Thursday game at Persimmon Ridge.
I'm going to explain the game since it works for any group that plays together regularly.
It's an individual game (no partners).
Here's how you score:
6 for Eagle
4 for birdy
2 for par
1 for bogie

Each beginning player gets a "target" based on handicap.
I was a 9 handicap and got a target of 25.
That would be 7 pars and 11 bogies on my best day.
Of course for every double bogey or worse you would need another par.
Massie-Fergusion competitor that I am , I made 10 pars, but 1 double to shot 81 and get 27 points.
That got me 3rd place and double my money.
All 16 of us put up $8.
Closest to the hole on each par 3 gets $16 and the rest pays 3 places with 16 enties.
They pay more places with more entries.

Here's what keeps you coming back.
Only 3 of us beat our target.
Your target goes up for next time half as many strokes as you beat it this time.
The winner had a 17 target and got 23. Next week he'll have a target of 20.
Second place was 18 and got 22 points. Next time he'll also be 20.
I'll be 26 next time and probably won't shoot near 81.
And all 13 guys that didn't make their target get their target reduced by 1.
Therefore if you play lousy enough for long enough you are bound to win eventually. :wink: :D

Their Wednesday and Friday game has 4 man teams and is so complicated I can't explain it.
You do play your own ball, and the better you shot the more you help the team.

These are the joys of club membership that I have missed by being a traveling golfer.
And I found out when I said I would have to come back often in order to get my target down,
that I can only be a guest at Persimmon 5 times a year :!: :?: :evil:
I don't know why they wouldn't want my $52 more than that, but I'm upset.
I'm thinking maybe a different identity for each game.

Anyway, Persimmon was in great shape. The greens were medium fast and the smoothest I've seen this winter.
It was great to see those bent grass pelts flying on the wedge shots.
If I was gonna give up traveling and join a club, Persimmon Ridge is where I'd go.
And it's only 22 miles from home :!:

moe
Art Hills # 1 fan
moe
Pro Poster

Postby Tigerbuck » Tue May 19, 2009 11:06 pm

Fantastic layout and pristine conditions = one of the best in the state. Greens are a little too tricked up for me but it still makes it fun to ridiculous on chipping and putting. #10 green was totally unfair. The only thing missing on that hole was the windmill, clowns and circus music.

Gumpster showed us why he's the pro and 4left wants another driver because he only hits the 8 he owns only 300 yards. 3jack needs to file a flight plan before every drive to avoid midair collisions and myself needs to play & practice everyday to improve on an embarrassing 90. Problem is, I'm running out of sunlight everyday.

Thanks guys for a great time. Enjoyed it.
Tigerbuck
Veteran Poster

Postby JP » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:35 pm

I know that Tack has his list of guys he wants to punch in the face, well my list is topped by Art "snapping" Hills. That guy is a sadist! Bar none, the toughest layout I have ever played.

The layout is fantastic and conditions were great especially this late in the year. The greens :evil: were very fast and combined with the "rolling ocean" contours made for some shots that you just have to laugh at (or cry). I remember my approach to #3 green landing somewhere right of center on the green only to watch the ball make a big, sweeping right turn and drift all the way off the edge and almost to the edge of the ravine. That stuff happened a lot to all of us. Depending on where you miss around the greens you could have shots where no matter how "perfect" you hit it, there was no way to get it closer than 10-12 feet.

Another thing that makes the course so tough is there is little room for errant shots. This was only the third round I have played since Labor Day weekend so my short game is off already. Not good when playing here. Combine that with the way I'm spraying my driver right now :roll: and I had my worst round of the year scoring wise. I played the blues on the front and moved up to the whites on the back and didn't fare a lot better.

I loved the signature "cape" hole and #16 is maybe the prettiest par three I have seen. It was also my only par of the day :oops: . There were many other good holes and none that I remember being boring. Of course the day was perfect. Any day in November that I can wear shorts and short sleeves is a great day. Add to that the company I was keeping: Gump, 3Jack and Tigerbirdie. All in all a great day of golf at an incredibly good golf course. I just hope next time my game is in better shape so that I can play a little closer to my handicap. :wink:
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight"- Ben Hogan
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:08 pm

I noticed that they don't have any times listed on golf now anymore. I wonder if they are done with that or not.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby Tigerbuck » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:20 am

This course isn't so tough once you get the 92, 90, 89, and 86 out of the way. 83! Now that's what I'm talking about. Can't believe I'm bragging about an 83....sheesh. This course isn't difficult, it's just tricked up! Crazy azz greens.
Tigerbuck
Veteran Poster

Postby inkster » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:03 pm

2009 GKL semi-finalist and took it on the chin from Friar Tuck
inkster
Semi-Pro Poster

Postby Tigerbuck » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:02 pm

Tee to green one of finest courses in the state. Excellent conditions including the weather. Great group, great day to be alive. :D
Tigerbuck
Veteran Poster

Postby moe » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 am

Played Persimmon twice this week with the old men.
I played terrible (94) and slightly better (89).

The greens are very fast :!: :evil:
It's in great condition,
and Steve is either joking or on drugs when he said he had no trouble with the greens.

I already explained that Arthur Hills is so embarresed about those greens he blames Elmore Just.
I think that says they are tough, and sometimes unfair (pin placement).

moe
Art Hills # 1 fan
moe
Pro Poster

Postby JP » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:38 pm

I'm with you Moe. I thought those greens were brutal last fall in my only trip to the course. They really level the playing field for sure as they are hard for everyone, well except inkster I guess.
JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Tigerbuck » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:37 pm

This course took a beating during the summer and I'm happy to report that the bent has recovered nicely this fall. The greens were healed and rolled pretty good despite them being a little long thus slowing down those crazy undulated greens which is not a bad thing. Fairways were green and healthy with some areas still a little tender, and the rough a little sporadic. The heavy rough was cut down helping me out more so than I would have liked. It appeared several areas on the tee boxes needed to be shut down due to amount of divots. Bunkers were great as usual. Fun day watching Moe play well today. He brought the front to it's knees!

“The balance, the poise, the finish...it's like a dance"
Tigerbuck
Veteran Poster

Re: Persimmon Ridge

Postby foreleft » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:39 am

Played it this past Wednesday. What a treat. Beautiful day and great golf course. Did not play too well but who cares when you get to play a course this good. Would no doubt be #1 on our list if it were public. Everything in fantastic shape. I love bent grass. Zoysia and bermuda might hold up better in the summer but there is nothing like taking big slab divots of bent.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby JP » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:28 pm

JP
Champions Tour Poster

Postby beebs4201 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:56 pm

Got to play Persimmon Ridge for the first time today in a scramble. Nice course but I was not super impressed. Course conditions were OK. Several bad spots in the fairways and there were a lot of greens that had burnt spots. Rough was inconsistent. Lots of crab grass in the fairways and rough. The design of the course is excellent...and tough. The main turn off for me were the greens. These are the definitions of circus greens. There are several instances where you will get penalized for hitting a good shot maybe 10 ft from the hole where it catches a ridge and screws you. No way I would pay what they are asking to play this course again. Wouldn't make my top 5 courses in the state.
beebs4201
Veteran Poster

Postby LordofthePings » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:30 pm

I have played that course only once, and it was a long time ago. I do remember, though, that one putt greens were not the norm. Up and downs just didn't happen for me that day, because of the tricky greens. If I wasn't on in regulation, I wasn't getting par. Still enjoyed the course, though, and would like to go back some day.
LordofthePings
Veteran Poster

Postby NewWildcatOrder » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:59 am

NewWildcatOrder
Rookie Poster

Next

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews