Charlie Vettner

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Re: Charlie Vettner

Postby PRPcoach » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:48 am

Course was in fantastic shape for the Metro - speedy greens, super fairways.
Mark and his staff do a great job.
It's a great value for the under $15 green fee.

However - I cannot stand the lay out. It is just too tough for me. Very few holes fit my eye off the tee, and a few of the landing areas are soooo tight its crazy (8,12, 13) I will admit, driving is my weakness, and it is totally exposed at CV from the back tees.

I don't want to be a bi*&%, so I play there when there are events, but man, when I pull in the parking lot it feels more like a dentist appointment than a round of golf.
Frank Beard "I tried to catch you last week Dave but you were too good"
Dave Hill "Beard, you couldn't beat me with a hammer!"
PRPcoach
Rookie Poster

Postby foreleft » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:05 pm

played it yesterday. Course is in excellent shape. Zoysia cut tight, greens very firm. course is playing firm and fast. Lots of fun. White tees played pretty short. Hope to get back soon. 14.25 to walk.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:19 pm

Played here today and have to echo my last post. The place looks great. Greens and tees are as nice as ever. Fairways too. Looks like they are doing some work out there in spots like taking the path that crosses 5 fairway out. It looks like they have edged some bunkers but are nowhere close to finished. If they can ever get around to doing some tree clearing to fix these odd driving holes they will have this place be the jewel of the metro parks and may be well on its way already.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:09 pm

Been a while since my last visit. I was a little worried when I showed up 20 minutes late for my tee time and we still just went out with no one in front of us. We finally caught a group on 14. Course is in great shape again. Might be the best greens I have ever seen on a metro course. Firm, fast, and great looking. Fairways have some tan spots but in excellent shape. Rough is rough. Not deep but dying crabgrass everywhere. Easier to hit out of than live crabgrass. Bunkers seemed fine. Tee boxes were great. Played the back tees. Firm enough where distance was never a problem. Just don't hit the ball in the rough. It is so firm that you ball will probably run out so far that it ends up somewhere you don't want to be. Walked for 14.25. Great deal. I may just stay on this course for a bit if it is going to be like this. Great shape, challenging course, and challenging walk.

*17 green is slow and fuzzy compared to rest. No air circulation on that green. They need a big fan. Someone email Marty Storch.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:24 am

I walked 9 out here the other day while I was in the area and had time to kill. I will basically repeat what lefty said and my last post said. Whoever the super is out there has turned the place around. They have the best metro greens I've seen. They even roll better than the dreaded "metro speed." I too played the back tees and the course is definitely firm enough to do so. The next thing they need to do out there is clear some trees. Having played the back tees (which I don't get to do much when I go play Vettiner) It made me notice a few more of the areas that need tree clearing. 7,8, and 9 all need it badly. you can't see part of the green from the back tees on 7. This is pretty minimal. 8 is not a good hole because of the trees from any tee, but especially from the back tee. It's not really a good hole at all from back there. There is nowhere to really land the ball and not very many choices. The tee should probably never be on the back tee and they really need to clear some along the creek. The driving line has been discussed on many occasions here. If they clear that the hole becomes better.

Anyway, the course is in great shape. Everybody got crabgrass in the rough this year. It's dying but its out there. Thats the only real problem I saw out there.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:52 pm

Love the island tee on #8 though. I went back and played it last Thursday. I hit the same tee shot there as I did the previous week. Nice 4 wood to about 140. Problem was the I had the big beautiful oak tree in my line because even though my tee shot hit the middle of the fairway, it ended up on the right edge of the fairway and had to just try and catch the left side of the green. It is a beautiful tree. Hate for them to take it out. I think they need to take the bunkers out on the left side. At least one of them. It is a small landing area if you are trying to get within 160. I guess you can always hit your tee shot to about 190 out. Bigger landing area there. I've always liked the hole and I love island tees. But you are right that it is a ridiculous tee shot. Number 9 might be just as small a landing area. I just try and hit it up in the trees to right and hope it comes down. Short par 5 but not much option for a layup off the tee. #7 doesn't bother me because it is a huge green. And trees are not in play at all.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Previous

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews