[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Golf Kentucky Links • View topic - Charlie Vettner

Charlie Vettner

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Charlie Vettner

Postby moe » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:06 am

Art Hills # 1 fan
moe
Pro Poster

Postby foreleft » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:49 am

Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Re: Charlie Vettner

Postby moe » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Charlie Vettner is the toughest muni in the Louisville area.
It is somewhat hidden off Mary Dell Street in J-Town, but worth a try.

They have a new clubhouse, but the same clumpy rough and untended bunkers.
You should play it uder winter rules (move the ball) or face some unfair lies.
I played (poorly) today for 22.50 as a senior.
The guy asked me how old I was, and I took it as a compliment.
Oh, yeah, thanks JP.

The conditions here are not good, but if you want a challenge, it qualifies.
Jason, If you play the blue tees at 6934,
I'll play you even from the yellow (old man) tees at 5836.

I played whites today at 6434 and the dickheads on the yellow tees kicked our butts.
On at least 2 holes they are over 100 yards ahead.
And we were giving strokes!

moe
Art Hills # 1 fan
moe
Pro Poster

Charlie Vettner

Postby foreleft » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:18 am

I will agree that it is the toughest muni in Louisville. I did not play there last year until December. I hope to get out there a few more times this year. Always enjoy it. Tough walk but a good one. I love the blue tees on this course but I would not play you straight up if you are playing the yellows. My days are numbered on the blue tees so I want to enjoy them as often as I can.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Tigerbuck » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 am

If you play the munis, play them early because they only get worse. Unfortunately, this course is not good. 1 sucks, 2 is OK, 3 sucks, 4 sucks, 5 sucks, 6-8 are solid good holes, 9 sucks. 10 sucks, 11 is very good, 12 sucks, 13 really really sucks, 14 sucks, 15 sucks, 16 is very good, 17 sucks ass and 18 blows. Pretty much sums it up. This course sucks but they got a great clubhouse just like Long Run. Seneca and Shawnee are much better.

“The balance, the poise, the finish...it's like a dance"
Tigerbuck
Veteran Poster

Postby beebs4201 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:56 am

Played Vettiner yesterday morning. Course is in good shape for a muni. The practice green was long and shaggy and had me worried but the greens on the course were much nicer and rolled pretty good...medium speed. This course continues to kick my ass. By far the hardest metro parks course. Get out and play here with the good course conditions right now.
beebs4201
Veteran Poster

Postby foreleft » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:27 am

Played CV the other day. Greens were good, fairways were great. Tees were good, rough was still spotty and uneven. Tough lies. Bunkers were ok. It is no great design but it is challenging. Especially from the blues. Don't expect to shoot a good score here. Lots and lots of hazard. KY Open qualifying is here this year. Will be interesting to see how that goes. I think a 76 will get you in and on to Olde Stone.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Played here yesterday. 14.25 to walk. Pretty tough walk. Pretty tough course. We played the whites and it kicked my butt. 87. After being on a terror since October, this last month or so have been rough.
Conditions were good. A little soggy in some places. Zoysia fairways were greening up and in good shape. Greens had been punched but were rolling med fast. First spring rough I have seen this year. Thick and green in most places. Bunkers were mostly still wet from the rain and snow the previous day. Tee boxes were mostly crap.
I want to go back but next time I will play the blues. Not gonna let those white tees beat me up again.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Crosby4 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:30 am

Thanks for the post!
Crosby4
Newbie Poster

Postby A-Dub » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:15 pm

It's a good course, but if I'm not on my game, I don't even think about playing Vettiner. I would certainly label it the toughest course I have played in the metro area.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby beebs4201 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Played here Sunday morning. Aside from the 5 and 1/2 hour round, the course conditions are great. Fairways are nice and full, and the greens were in great shape. Probably the fastest I have played their greens. Rough was super thick and penalizing. Bunkers were hit or miss. Some were complete hardpan that had not seen sand in years. Others were raked and not bad.
beebs4201
Veteran Poster

Postby James » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:25 am

Funny you mention green speed. I had some friends say the same thing.
James
Rookie Poster

Postby A-Dub » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Sounds like they have it in Metro Championship shape. Good to hear. Did I hear they got a new super this year or last year?
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 am

Finally got back to Vettner. Avenged my poor showing from April. Still had two doubles and 3 three putts but made two eagles and shot 74. Paid 14.25 to walk. Very good value. Course is in really good shape. Fairways and greens are excellent. Rough is a little mixed but they cut it down enough where it doesn't kill you. Noticed a few of the bunkers were muddy. So course is not perfect. Good signs of them working on the course. I hope to be back soon. Played the whites again. Really want the blue tees.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 pm

I have to agree with lefty here. This is the best I have seen vettiner. There are a few tee boxes that are still pretty rough but it looks like they are working on some tee boxes currently so I am sure more will follow. Greens and fairways were nice and full. Greens definitely rolled better than the "metro speed" at which I last played. I had heard they got a new super out there this year, if so he looks like a keeper. Played pretty good on the front with a 37, but that damn back got me again. There are some interesting tee shots back there that make it tough. If they keep it going like this I may join their men's club next year, as it is pretty close to my work.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Next

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews