NEVEL MEADE

Your chance to share the knowledge! Review, rate, and share your opinions or comments about Kentucky golf courses.

Re: NEVEL MEADE

Postby foreleft » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:45 pm

Played it last night. Poa has been burned up and the greens are as good as I have ever seen them. Bent fairways are perfect too. Rough was a little crispy as was the heather. Bunkers are good but a little damp from the sprinklers. Paid $17 to walk after 3
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Played here last night. Fairways, rough, and greens are still in great shape. Paid $17 to walk after 3. Bunkers had many wash outs and lots of mud left on top from the flooding. Expected. Not a great design but well kept and great location. Played the blues and even with it being soft(cpo still), seemed to play short. Had driver, 7 iron, to 4 inches for eagle on 18. Hit about a foot past and came straight back to hole. All the golf I have played and I still have never had a hole in one or double eagle.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby thurman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:45 am

A-Dub and I played Nevel Meade in the afternoon yesterday. It was my first time seeing the course.

Nevel might be the ugliest course I've ever played in terms of its terrain and surroundings. The property is almost completely uninterrupted and open without a tree or natural feature in sight, aside from the rolling hills throughout and the dry wash that runs along 17 (and that probably isn't always dry).

It took me a few holes to get over the jarring landscape, but I really liked the design overall. Nevel's architect was Steve Smyers, who also did Wolf Run. While he clearly had a bigger budget and better property to work with at Wolf, you can see some similar themes between the two courses. I thought Nevel had really nice green sites, with some sited on knobs and others sited in bowls and a few that just lay at grade or cut into shelves. The ones on knobs featured swales and runoffs and some bunkers that dared you to hit a high shot that stuck to the surface, while the ones in bowls often had a ramp that could be used to run the ball down onto the putting surface. The approach to 12 with all the small mounds up the right side of the fairway really stood out as something that could be fun on a long par 4 that plays into the prevailing wind but features a downhill approach that invites a running shot. Smyers also bunkered the driving zones to set up quite a few risk/reward opportunities.

Conditions throughout the course were good with everything playing reasonably firm given that it's August in the Ohio Valley. Greens have gotten a little beat up, but I would guess it's hard to find places where that isn't the case at this point. We walked and cruised around the course in pretty much right on 4 hours despite a few backups on the inward nine. Better check A-Dub's handicap, as I'm pretty sure he shot something like a 64. I didn't have many highlights of my own, but did manage to get on in two at the last after a sad drive of about 220 yards and finally made my first birdie of a 36-hole day. I've had worse Tuesdays.
"Focus on golf. Screw everything else." - Earl Woods
thurman
Champions Tour Poster

Postby A-Dub » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:09 am

Having never walked NM, despite forelefts constant praise of it being a good walk, I was surprised how well it set up for a nice walk. I guess I shouldnt have been considering the number of people out there walking on a perfect Tuesday evening.

As for my score, I did hit the ball pretty well, but did not pitch it too well around the greens. I made several par putts in the 3-10 foot range to help my cause. I don't remember very many tap ins. I waited until the long par 3 8th to make a bogey, and followed that up with another on 9 after a sad approach shot following a big drive.

I think on the back, despite how easy the walk was, I started to tire out. I have been playing a lot of cart golf, and after a mentally taxing day at work I started to get a little wild off the tee. I didn't keep it on the card, but I think I ended up with 77 or 78. No birdies all day was a bummer. Even though we played the back tees, I should have had a couple birdies out there.

The course definitely played fun, firm, and fast. If they got the greens rolling fast out there it would have been a heck of a time. Still enjoyed it and definitely recommend playing Nevel right now if you are looking for some nice conditions and a good time.
A-Dub
Champions Tour Poster

Postby foreleft » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Aeration Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were out there last night. When we hit the backside they started punching the front. We played out there last week too. Everything is in pretty good shape. A few bunkers need sand but it looks like they are working on that. Greens have been fast and smooth. Usually medium and a little roughed up out there. They seem to be putting way too much water on the course. Playing very soft for no rain the last couple weeks
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby beebs4201 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:01 am

Course conditions out there right now are solid. Played Tuesday. Greens were terrific.
beebs4201
Veteran Poster

Postby foreleft » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:25 pm

I played out there last night. Course is in good condition. Very green. Wind was rocking out there.
Not raking a bunker.
Littering is wrong too.
foreleft
Champions Tour Poster

Postby Docugs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Played here the first time in about 6 years, so it took me a little bit to remember all the holes. The course is in pretty good shape, greens were medium pace, and the course was starting to firm up. Fairways were in good shape, and the rough is chopped down really low, it really hasn't started to grow yet. If you miss a green you could possibly get a funky lie in the rough, but that's about it.

Wind was up the front 9 and just died on the back leaving the course without a defense. shot 72 that should have been 69 had I been able to putt. walked for 20 bucks after 3 pm. regular rates are back.
Docugs
Pro Poster

Postby beebs4201 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:09 pm

Course conditions at Nevel are excellent right now. They do punch their greens on derby week though.
beebs4201
Veteran Poster

Previous

Return to Kentucky Course Reviews